Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timbers used for trellises/bean poles/etc.

Posted by plantslayer z8 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 15:34

Hello all,

I have seen many pictures where people who have used wooden timbers such 4x4s to build trellises, bean poles, and other structures.

I was wondering: if I want to use wooden timbers to make a structure or pole, can I just sink it directly into the soil (i.e. no concrete or anchor, just stick it in a post hole, then pack earth around it)? The main concerns I had about this are 1) that it might not be very stable (I can go down about 2 ft maybe) and 2) that having buried wood directly in contact with the soil would cause it to rot quickly. Is there an easy way to protect the buried section from rot, if that is a problem?

I garden out of a rented urban plot, and am not able (nor inclined) to set the post in concrete or the like. The structure would only need to survive a year or so. I like the idea of timbers because I can get some cheap, and they are easy to work with as long as durability is not a huge issue.

Thanks again for the tips!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timbers used for trellises/bean poles/etc.

Wood will not rot too quickly in soil for that use. But, from my experience, it is a lot of work to set them into the ground if they need to be removed and reset each year. Also, 4x4s are way heavier than needed.

The solution I arrived at for bean trellises is to drive short steel fence posts into the ground. This is easy to do because the tops are not out of reach for striking with a hammer and they penetrate the ground easily. These stakes have a series of holes, making it easy to screw on a vertical wood pole. I use 1x3 furring strips, which are very inexpensive and the right weight for the job. Horizontals can be attached to the verticals if desired.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here