Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Envy Soybeans...how to cook

Posted by kissingfrgos2003 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 16:18

I tried growing Envy soybeans (aka edamame) this summer and much to my surprise i just had my first harvest!!!
IMG_3467

I ended up with about 1 cup of beans (pretty good for a first timer)...
IMG_3466

Now, what on earth do I do to cook these!!! I like them like you get in asian resturants OR shelled on salads...if that helps at all.

Any guidence is much appreciated :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Envy Soybeans...how to cook

Congratulations! Nice harvest! I grew some last year and only got a small batch, so didn't try them again this year. Your photos make me wish I did! I boiled water in a pan - ~3 cups. Then when it's boiling, throw in the edamame and cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on how done you like yours. I like mine crunchy still, so only go about 3.5 minutes. Drain them and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt or kosher salt and enjoy!

o

Thanks for the help!

Out of curiosity, do soybean plants give more than one round of beans or should I pull them up and start more seedlings while I can...

o

I've never had edamame soybeans rebloom after harvest... and even if they did, chances are that the new pods would not mature before Fall. Nor are seedlings started now likely to mature in cool weather, so I would not recommend planting a second round. Best to pull the spent soybeans & plant a cool-weather veggie in their place.

Depending upon when you expect your first hard freeze, you might have time yet to get in a fast-maturing green pea, such as "Alaska".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here