Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
number of bean plants

Posted by purnima z9CA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 18:13

Hi,

I have been planting around 6 plants for the last 2 years but have not been able to "stock up the freezer" as someone put it. I get a good crop to feed a family of 4 for 2-3 months. Do I need to plant many more plants? I live in CA in the SF Bay area.
Purnima

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: number of bean plants

well, you certainly need more than 6 plants to stock up the freezer for a family of four. how many depends on the variety of bean, the appetite of your family, and the vagaries of the weather from year to year. what kind of bean do you grow, and how much space do you have to grow them? if you want to freeze a bunch to eat over the winter, you may need to triple or quadruple what you are growing.can you fill us in a bit?

keith

o

I have been growing Kentucky wonder pole beans. I have a 3X 12 raised bed and grow tomatoes and cucumbers. There is space enough to double but I was just curious. I am planning to build another raised bed and so was thinking about it.
Thanks.

o

I plant 50 seeds. The season can get shortened real quick...and, if it doesn't...I've got enough for the year and plenty to give away.

o

I plant about 1/2 pound. 2 oz for me, 6oz for the deer.....

o

Purnima, aren't Kentucky wonder poles great? they do really well here, I am a bit south of you, same zone. I usually put 10-12 seeds for three or four kinds of snap beans, and then a whole lot more of course for shellies and dry beans. I never have enough of either. I like to freeze shellies but not snaps, I pickle those. I do freeze snow peas though, they taste good to me even that way. I still have some in the freezer from the winter. I went crazy and put about 60 seeds, they all produced for about 3-4 months. Oh and it is just two of us, but we give lots to friends and family.

o

"I have been planting around 6 plants...I get a good crop to feed a family of 4 for 2-3 months. Do I need to plant many more plants?

Hi Purnima,

This reminds me of those old arithmatic problems we all didn't understand lol!

So, if 6 plants provide enough beans for 2-3 months, then 24-36 plants should produce enough to last for 12 months.

Then again, I never was very good at math *smile*.

Rick

o

Then again, I never was very good at math *smile*.

--X--

Looks like good math to me ;)

purnima, you might consider try growing some other varieties for variety and to see if you could get higher production. I really like Rattle Snake green beans. I personally like to freeze green and wax beans together, I think it taste and looks better when served.

Dean

o

Thanks for all the replies. Rick, I guess you are right. I could just double up to increase my yield. Dean, like you said, I would like to try different varieties that produce good. My kids are wary of trying something that doesnt look like beans.
One other thing is that by the end of the season, the plants seem to look sickly - browning and sometimes having some sticky, spiderwebby kind of stuff on them. I then just pull them all out. What do you all do?

Thanks, once again,
Purnima

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here