Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purnima_gw

number of bean plants

purnima
13 years ago

Hi,

I have been planting around 6 plants for the last 2 years but have not been able to "stock up the freezer" as someone put it. I get a good crop to feed a family of 4 for 2-3 months. Do I need to plant many more plants? I live in CA in the SF Bay area.

Purnima

Comments (12)

• rxkeith
    13 years ago

well, you certainly need more than 6 plants to stock up the freezer for a family of four. how many depends on the variety of bean, the appetite of your family, and the vagaries of the weather from year to year. what kind of bean do you grow, and how much space do you have to grow them? if you want to freeze a bunch to eat over the winter, you may need to triple or quadruple what you are growing.can you fill us in a bit?

keith

• purnima
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been growing Kentucky wonder pole beans. I have a 3X 12 raised bed and grow tomatoes and cucumbers. There is space enough to double but I was just curious. I am planning to build another raised bed and so was thinking about it.
    Thanks.

• forpityssake
    13 years ago

I plant 50 seeds. The season can get shortened real quick...and, if it doesn't...I've got enough for the year and plenty to give away.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    13 years ago

I plant about 1/2 pound. 2 oz for me, 6oz for the deer.....

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Purnima, aren't Kentucky wonder poles great? they do really well here, I am a bit south of you, same zone. I usually put 10-12 seeds for three or four kinds of snap beans, and then a whole lot more of course for shellies and dry beans. I never have enough of either. I like to freeze shellies but not snaps, I pickle those. I do freeze snow peas though, they taste good to me even that way. I still have some in the freezer from the winter. I went crazy and put about 60 seeds, they all produced for about 3-4 months. Oh and it is just two of us, but we give lots to friends and family.

• rdback
    13 years ago

"I have been planting around 6 plants...I get a good crop to feed a family of 4 for 2-3 months. Do I need to plant many more plants?

Hi Purnima,

This reminds me of those old arithmatic problems we all didn't understand lol!

So, if 6 plants provide enough beans for 2-3 months, then 24-36 plants should produce enough to last for 12 months.

Then again, I never was very good at math *smile*.

Rick

• deanriowa
    13 years ago

Then again, I never was very good at math *smile*.
    --
    X
    --

Looks like good math to me ;)

purnima, you might consider try growing some other varieties for variety and to see if you could get higher production. I really like Rattle Snake green beans. I personally like to freeze green and wax beans together, I think it taste and looks better when served.

Dean

• purnima
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Rick, I guess you are right. I could just double up to increase my yield. Dean, like you said, I would like to try different varieties that produce good. My kids are wary of trying something that doesnt look like beans.
    One other thing is that by the end of the season, the plants seem to look sickly - browning and sometimes having some sticky, spiderwebby kind of stuff on them. I then just pull them all out. What do you all do?

Thanks, once again,
    Purnima

• carmengulliksen
    7 years ago

purnima... when you say you feed 4 for 2-3 months.... what does that really mean. Sorry I am new to this and am trying to figure out plant portions for my own family. Do you mean you all eat them daily, couple times a week? Could you please provide a little more detail? Thank you!

• carmengulliksen
    7 years ago

Wonderful! That helps a lot!

Haha I had not noticed HOW old this post was. Well, thank you so much for still replying to it though. :-)

Still timely information. ;-)

• Etta T
    7 years ago

Thanks for letting us know! So you ended up planting 12 and was able to put some up? Did you space them 12" between plants thanks!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area