Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Hmm....trying to understand my Romano Pole beans

catherinet
11 years ago

I planted these last year and they put out tons of foliage, but at the very end of the season, they put a few little beans. I thought it was from the intense heat that summer.

This year I planted them again and they made alot of foliage again, but we had high heat and drought. They are finally making some beans. They are very small. Maybe I'm picking them too soon, but if I leave them get bigger, the bugs eat them.

But.......their seeds are white. Should their seeds always be brown, or is that something that develops, the older they get?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Is the foliage getting bug damage significantly?

IME, Romano is a heavy producer unless it gets attacked by mexican bean beetle. Mine are completely de-foliated now by MBB but still have a lot of pods.

• remy_gw
    11 years ago

You might just be very unlucky since it is one of the most productive beans I've ever grown, or you might have the wrong beans since there are imposters floating around. What shape are your beans that you are starting with? They should be sort of square like after dinner mints and light brown when dry. The other one is the same shade of light brown, but are more traditional bean shape.
    The beans in the pods might be white before drying. I've never taken notice. If they are white once dry, then something is wrong.
    Remy

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, not alot of leaf damage. No sign of bean beetles. Seems like the cucumber beetles have done the most damage.
    Remy........here's a pic of the beans. Some of them are a bit square. They are from Burpee. After looking at the picture, what do you think? It wouldn't be the first time I got the wrong seeds.

• remy_gw
    11 years ago

No Catherine, those are correct. So I'm baffled by the lack of beans I even just had this pic of them in my photo contest. The grower was very happy with them.
    I'm trying to think of why and maybe it is just too hot and dry. How hot have your summers been? I watered my beans a lot this year because it was so dry. Normally I don't. I don't think I would of had beans like I've had though if I didn't do all the watering.
    Remy

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wow Remy!! those look great! We had an exceptional drought and extemely hot temps. We had something like 60 days over 90 and a bunch over 100.
    But I did water the garden every other day for an hour. My cucs and tomatoes did great.
    My other pole beans didn't do so good either......They are all just starting to make beans. I'm thinking that they are very far behind. I picked some last week to freeze, and by the looks of your's, I picked infant ones! haha Maybe that's why the blanching water turned red??

We had a stretch of hot weather last year too and I didn't get any of the Romano pole beans then either. Maybe if we have a long, reasonable Fall, I'll still get some good beans from them.
    Wow........mine are about 1/3 the size of yours and they grow mostly singly or with one other! You should be very proud of yours! :)

• tormato
    11 years ago

Catherinet,

With temps constantly above 90 degrees, Rattlesnake is the only bean that produces well, for me.

Gary

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gary. Maybe I'll give Rattlesnake a try. But then our summers will probably be extra cool! haha

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling