Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rattlesnake as dried or shelly bean?

Posted by emmers_m 6 Northern NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 19:02

Of my short list of bean varieties I find myself least satisfied with Rattlesnake.

It's a fine and tasty bean, and I've kept it returning to my garden due to its ability to produce in the heat, but I find it doesn't mesh well with my somewhat sporadic bean picking habits.

Rattlesnake seems to get overgrown and stringy faster than my other varieties. I find it difficult to remove the strings because they are not heavy, and frenching takes an eon and is not wholly successful because the strings tend to be inset somewhat in the side of the bean.

My fault entirely, but I've found myself uttering a heavy sigh when I get down to the rattlesnake plants.

I've seen mention recently that rattlesnake makes a good dried bean and it got me wondering if I can squirm out of my picking/stringing/frenching duties :)

Do you enjoy rattlesnake as a shelly or dried bean?

~emmers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rattlesnake as dried or shelly bean?

I'll eat just about any bean as a shelly if it gets away from me, as long as it isn't too hard to shell. I'm no expert on how shellies are supposed to be, but Rattlesnake shellies seem OK to me...just not as big as most of the varieties that are touted as shellies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here