Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowabunga1

colors of Insuk's Wang Kong?

cowabunga1
9 years ago

Hello, I planted this type of runner bean this year for the first time. Now that I am starting to harvest some, I am noticing there are purple and also black beans. Is this normal? (see picture)

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Yes, you might even get some white ones.

Annette

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Runner bean seed can also change colour as it dries. Those mauve ones may well end up a pinkish colour. I've never had black seed on my runners so can't comment on how/whether they'll change.

• cowabunga1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought it may have been a cross or something. Thanks for letting me know! Its very interesting and kind of fun opening them up to see the surprise colors. :)

• drloyd
    9 years ago

IWK seems to be a mix of varieties.

• remy_gw
    9 years ago

I've grown this for a few years now and the seeds range between the almost all purple to purple with lots of speckles to all black.
    From what I've seen, the seed planted of one color will produce a variety of colors.
    I've never seen white.

Floral, The black seeds stay black.
    Remy

9 years ago

Remy, I have some white IWK seeds, haven't grown them out yet but I think someone else on the forum has and found they didn't produce only white seeded beans. Here's a picture of the colors and seed coat patterns I have in my IWK's. Another runner that has several colors and seed coat patterns in their mix is Sadie's Horse Beans.
    Annette

• remy_gw
    9 years ago

I sent and email to Jim asking him about the colors. I don't know if the white is correct or if someone's been giving out crossed seed.
    Remy

9 years ago

Remy I got my white seeds from Jim :).
    Annette

• fusion_power
    9 years ago

I have plenty of white seed in my IWK and they also were straight from Jim. IWK is a composite, there are at least 3 different sets of genetics floating around in the seed. The pure white seed produce plants with white flowers and tend to breed true producing white seed. The pure black seed also tend to breed true, but very often cross with the purple speckled. As with all runner beans, the flowers cross promiscuously so expect a lot of variation.

The big advantage with Insuk's Wang Kong is that it is the only runner bean I've found that will mature in my hot humid southeastern climate.

• remy_gw
    9 years ago

JIm never sent me white ones so I was confused.
    He did send me a message back. "We plant 300+ seeds per year, never white, and average 1 or 2 white plants per year. The whites only have white beans. I have never seen a white bean in a red flowered IWK. "
    So that would also make sense as to why I've never seen white. It doesn't happen often.
    Remy

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

" IWK is a composite, there are at least 3 different sets of genetics floating around in the seed. The pure white seed produce plants with white flowers and tend to breed true producing white seed.

I agree. Jim sent me some white seeds, but I did not plant them. My belief is that the white is a recent cross, which is not deeply embedded in the genome. It seems to be easily eliminated, after two years of growing only the purple and/or black, I have had no white flowers or seeds. The white trait could still be recessive, but since I usually grow 20 plants or more, that appears unlikely.

An observation from this year... we ate quite a few shellies from the "Insuk's", and I found the all-black beans to be sweeter than the purple. DW really enjoyed them. They were followed up by "Gigandes" shellies just before frost.

• Tracy West
    8 years ago

I have a question about IWK in the southeast. I recently moved to the south-central part of NC, just along the border of SC, right where it changes from Piedmont to Coastal.

When would be the best time to plant IWK?mi was thinking July so that they could pollinate in the cooler fall.

I grew it many times in AZ but was never able to get any seed set. It was still worth growing as it's a spectacular looking flower.

• fusion_power
    8 years ago

My climate is similar here in NorthWest Alabama. I plant the 25th of March to the 1st of April.

Sponsored