Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Korean Bean Pickle

Posted by jimster z7a MA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 20:50

In this 9:30 min. video on YouTube, there is mention of what seems to be a pickled bean at about the 8:30 mark. Neither of the ladies in the video know what it is called. Do you know? How is it made? What is it? Where can I get it or how can I make it?

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Korean Bean Pickle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Korean Bean Pickle

Jim, cannot find the video you're referring to. what do you mean by 8:30 mark?..

o

Click on the blue link and the video will play. At the bottom of the video frame the elapsed time and the total times are shown. The comments I refer to begin at about 8:30 elapsed time.

After viewing again, I see that the beans are soy. There is no information about the way those soy beans are prepared.

Jim

o

Jim
Koreans,especially my wifes generation, prepare soy beans in many ways. The Mrs even makes her own Korean Soy Sauce. I'll try to locate a Korean cook book for you. By the way did you have any luck with your IWK Beans?
Jim

o

Jim,

My aim for the IWKs this year was just to increase seed. They are not quite mature enough for dry seed yet because I was a little late planting. They have grown well however and there is still time for them to finish. IWK is a beautiful bean and I'm very happy to have it.

Jim

o

Jimster,
Yes, I see the soybeans at around 8:30 mark. These seem to be simmered beans (the pickle is the vegetable next to the beans - looks like melon cucumber) - soak overnight, and then cook with soy sauce, sugar/molasses, salt, sometimes with a bit of mirin or garlic, until al dente. Top with sesame seeds before serving. Koreans also cook black beans this way. The name is "kong jorim" loosely translated "bean simmered"

The other Jim, thanks to you we have enjoyed red IWK blooms during the summer and are starting to harvest dry IWK.

S

o

Correction - I consulted my mother - a Korean mother and household cook for about half-century. She says the beans are not soaked overnight before cooking, but rather put in pot with water and cooked before adding seasoning. Also, soybeans can be dry sauteed in pan until skin pops, and then add water and seasoning to cook until al dente. The one in the video looks like the second kind. Judge from the color about amount of soy sauce and sugar to add. Hope this helps.

o

Thanks sparkle, for working so hard to decipher the little bit of visual information in that video. There wasn't much to go on and you did amazingly well. I've learned something.

One last question. Are we talking about dried soy beans here or green shellies?

Jim

o

You're welcome, Jim, They are the dried kind - yellow, hard ones soften on heat with water added

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here