Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time between green, shelly and dry bean stages?

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 22:31

This is my first year growing beans. now that the hot weather has passed, I'm finally getting some good beans on the vines.

What I can't seem to find from googling around is how long it takes runners or regular green beans to go from the edible snap stage to the shelly bean stage (for the runners) to the dry bean stage that you can save to replant next year (or boil to eat).

This year I seed saved lettuce and was shocked how long it took for it to set viable seed. I dont want to keep harvesting all my bean pods and not leave them enough time to mature before frost, but neither do I want to reduce the overall production by letting them mature way too early.

Can some of the experienced bean seed savers here help a newbie out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time between green, shelly and dry bean stages?

It really depends on the variety. Some are much faster than others.

o
RE: Time between green, shelly and dry bean stages?

I can't speak about the shelly stage. For dry bean seeds, wait until the leaves turn brown and perhaps fall off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here