Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Runner Beans - red flower/white-with-spots bean?

Posted by romanejo 6-7 Rochester, NY (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 22:50

I have been growing scarlet runners for a few years, and I'd occasionally get some "sports" in color, but I really liked a white (cream?) with brown flecks that showed up a few years ago. So after all these years, I have decided to try to plant them back and see if I can get a consistent color and flower combination.

Last year I had one particular red-flowered vine on which about half the beans were the white-with-flecks, and this year I definitely have (so far?) one vine with EXCLUSIVELY white-with-flecks. The beans are also MUCH larger than my regular scarlet runners.

Has anyone else already developed that "land race", I think it's called? If so, I would like to know if any are available. It would save me the time and trouble, and then I would have more beans to plant back and try to maintain the "purity" of the strain. So far this season I have 30 of these seeds for next year, and am hoping for more.

Also (VERY important question) I have heard that you can dig up the roots to overwinter and replant in the spring, but need specifics instructions, as I would like to see if I can keep at least this plant going.

In some other posts I saw some people trying to breed for purple-with-flecks beans on red-flowered plants. I get some of those too, but my garden is too small to avoid crossing, so I am trying to limit the colors I grow for next year, nevertheless I would love to know if anyone has purified such a strain yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Runner Beans - red flower/white-with-spots bean?

It sounds like some of your neighbors have been growing runner beans. The flowers are very attractive to bees, which will cross-pollinate them from a great distance. Your "sports" are most likely crosses.

There are many white flowered / white-seeded runner beans, such as "Emergo", "Pole Cannelini", "Bond's Orcas Lima", and "Jacks Bean".

"Painted Lady" has bi-colored flowers, and white & brown seeds. "Tocomares Chocolate" also has bi-colored flowers, with seeds that are all brown, or brown & white. You can see a photo of "Tucomares Chocolate" blossoms in the Pole Bean Spacing thread on this forum.

Chances are that one or more of these has crossed with your runner beans, especially if you grew one of them in the past. My guess would be "Painted Lady", since it is fairly popular. Seed Savers Exchange offers it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here