Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquette_gw

Are Pigeon peas anything like Southern peas in taste?

marquette
16 years ago

I would very much like to cook with Southern peas but cannot find them in my markets, (but dried Pigeon peas are readily available).

Black-eyed are available, of course, but I would like to try cooking crowders, creams, pink-eyed, and the others that often are discussed here in the Bean Forum.

Your help with information and sources would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (18)

• hairymooseknuckles
    16 years ago

I don't know what a pigeon peas is, but Pink Eye Purple Hulls are pretty close to Black Eyes.

• chaman
    16 years ago

Pigeon peas are Nuttier in taste and Crispy in taste.Green seeds of Pigeon peas are more stronger and little harder in structure than Southern peas or any peas alike.It takes little longer time in cooking.

• izzybelle
    16 years ago

Pigeon peas taste very much to me like a cross between boiled peanuts with a texture of soybeans.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I would be more than happy to share some southern pea seeds with you....I have several varieties and am happy to share...Let me know...

• marquette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your information. Ruthieg, thank you for your kind offer, but I don't think I have enough direct sun to grow them myself, so I had hoped someone here would know of a source where I could buy Southern peas by the pound for cooking.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

Awww ok I misunderstood the thread...

• marquette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ruthieg, don't feel bad. You were sweet to offer me seeds, and I wished I could grow them, but there are too many tall trees around.

• tedposey
    16 years ago

If you have a Farmers market near you try them. Most grocery stores even here in the south only stock black eyes or purple hulls. But many local farmers grow other varieties.

• farmboy-2007
    16 years ago

I dont know what piegon peas are but would like to obtain a few seeds of them to try. I live in NC and the local IGA stores have prepared packs of frozen corn, lima beans and may have some varities of southern peas.thanks, farmboy-2007

• marquette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At the farmers' market, the closest I've seen to Southern peas are the long asparagus beans. Southern peas aren't grown up here, unfortunately.

The dried pigeon peas I have are Goya brand from my local market.

I wished I knew of a farm that grew a few different S. peas and did mail order.

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Just for information. Krogers, Bi-Lo etc usually carry dried field peas in addition to Blackeyes. The field peas are similar to the cultivar Clay, very small. Usually in the canned category, you can find Blackeyes, Field peas, and White Acre.

• jimster
    16 years ago

I can buy frozen blackeye peas here at Stop and Shop. And, believe me, this ain't cowpea country. I wonder who buys them besides me. I bought other varieties of frozen Southern peas at Krogers in Cincinnati.

Of course the dried and canned blackeyes are available too. One brand offers canned blackeyes with snaps.

Jim

• chaman
    16 years ago

Pic. of Pigeon pea.{{gwi:1032384}}

Pods
    of Pigeon peas

• oldpea
    16 years ago

I believe if the only southern peas available to me were frozen (with the flavor blanched out) or canned (which are dried or nearly dried) then I would not like them at all.
    So, pigeon peas may be good fresh and not good dried.
    If you ever have a chance to taste fresh, green shelled southern peas you'll know what I mean.
    I steam blanch to save flavor.

• marquette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your responses and Chaman for your pictures. Pigeon peas certainly don't look anything like Southern peas, so far as I can see.

My area's markets sell only black-eyed peas, either dried, canned, or frozen. As taste goes, I don't think pigeon peas are substitutes for southern peas, not even close. But possibly, there are numerous varieties of pigeon peas, 'cause mine tasted nothing like peanuts.

It's rare that I dish a dish, but this one made a nutritional contribution to the compost, and there it worked beautifully.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I bought this can(on the link below) and I liked them. They went well with rice. They were beany and had a nice broth. I also have tried the Goya brand can of green pigeon peas and I thought they were terrible.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Pigeon Pea Can

• jimster
    16 years ago

Steve,

Here's another non-legume to check out. The seeds look to have good nutritional properties. They are sold as food, which might be more economical than buying them as garden seed.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Chia

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?