Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

A question/comments about Pole Limas.

denninmi
15 years ago

I grew pole limas for the first time ever this year -- 'Large Speckled Pole' and 'King of the Garden' -- they did really quite well, actually better than I thought.

A couple of things, though -- first of all, they started developing pods back in July, but I never harvested them, because I felt the pods, and they never seemed to fill out, stayed quite flat. I THOUGHT that they were duds, due to either our cool weather, or the fact that it had quit raining and was getting quite dry.

Well, much to my surprise, much after the fact, here around Labor Day, I opened a couple of the now-brown pods, to discover that they did, indeed, contain beans, now dried. I have since learned that these beans are much FLATTER than the plump, Henderson Bush limas I'm used to.

Now, in September, we had a dramatic amount or rain, a couple of storms with 2 inches each time, and about 8 inches in 2 days from the remnants of Hurricanes Lowell and Ike. Other beans in the garden rotted in the pods. NOT these limas -- the pods seem very sturdy, with a thick vellum layer, and they have stayed in very good shape. I'm harvesting them a couple of small buckets at a time, as my schedule allows, and shelling them out. So far, I've gotten a total of 9.6 lbs of dried beans from my about sixty foot double row. I'm almost done harvesting them, only a few more to go.

So, my questions are -- is this standard operating procedure with these beans to last so well in the pods, or did I somehow just get lucky? And, is the yield I've gotten pretty good -- It is about 2.5 one gallon Ziploc bags of dried beans?

Most of the other types of beans which I didn't harvest, including the Henderson Bush Lima, had a lot of mold on the pods, and many of the beans inside were ruined?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions