Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color changes in beans

Posted by happyday WI4a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 23:47

Just cooked some Snowcap shellies. Fresh, they have red flecks over a cream background. The brown background color does not appear until they are dried. However, it does appear when boiled, as a grey defined area with a white cap, and the red flecks disappear.

Since the brown also does not appear in the Bosnian Pole until dried, I might cook some shellies of it and see if the brown shows as a grey area.

Also, all of the Insuks Wang Kong I've picked all summer have been either black or purple with extensive lacing of black. Then we had one day and night where temps dropped into the 40s. Since then, all beans have been either black or the third color, few black flecks on pink, which dries to purple.

Wonder if the cold day had some effect on stopping full expression of black lacing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color changes in beans

The first IWK's I shelled for seed were bright pink changing to mauve with heavy black lacing when completely dry but since it has cooled off the rest have all been bright pink fading to mauve with black speckles. I haven't had any completely black seeds, we haven't had any really hot days this summer so maybe temperature does have something to do with it.

Annette

o

Annette, do you find that they all dry to the same color of purple/mauve? Mine do. There is only difference in how much black is shown. It does seem that a chill at a certain time in development stops expression of black pigment. For weeks after the chill I got only pink with speckles, then, right after I made the post in fact, I started finding purple with heavy black lacing again. Now we are having some cold days again and it may go back to pink with speckles again.

Looks like the West Coast had a cold summer and the East Coast a hot one. Here in the Midwest we had record rainfall and a moderate summer. I hope every one can find a way to make the best of it and still get a good crop.

o

Happy, all the speckled ones dried to the same color of mauve. The ones laced with black dried a little pinker.

Annette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here