Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldgaredneck

Help identifying this cowpea?

oldgaredneck
16 years ago

While picking pink eye purple hull peas at a friend's house, we came across these - any ideas as to what variety, or are they "sports" of the pink eye purple hulls? The hulls were not purple - they were yellow with a little blush, and the eyes of the peas were not the typical pink eye. When the pods dried, they dried to a straw color.

Thanks!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/gerjoi/PeasOct2007015.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/gerjoi/PeasOct2007005.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (10)

• oldgaredneck
    Original Author
    16 years ago

While picking pink eye purple hull peas at a friend's house, we came across these - any ideas as to what variety, or are they "sports" of the pink eye purple hulls? The hulls were not purple - they were yellow with a little blush, and the eyes of the peas were not the typical pink eye. When the pods dried, they dried to a straw color.

• hairymooseknuckles
    16 years ago

I don't have a clue buddy, but I hope you find out. We may have to do some more horsetrading. LOL!

• Macmex
    16 years ago

I believe that's some variety of cream pea. Here's a picture of Penny Rile, a cream pea variety that I grow.

{{gwi:115207}}

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• oldgaredneck
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Macmex,
    Thanks for the info - definitely resembles a cream pea.
    Will plant them out next spring and hopefully get enough to see if they are as good as the pinkeye purple hull pea.

• rdback
    15 years ago

Wow George. You didn't show me THIS picture when we were discussing cowpea choices a few weeks ago. Sure am glad I ended up choosing Penny Rile to try this year lol!

Great photo. Now I'm hungry :^)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

You'll like Penny Rile! It is a beauty. The plants and flowers are great to look at too.

Here's another picture:
    {{gwi:102296}}

• happyday
    15 years ago

Oldgaredneck, are they Mississippi Silvers?

Is Rodger around to ask?

• cypert2
    15 years ago

They're Mississippi Silverhulls.

• oldgaredneck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We've grown Mississippi Silver, and they did not look anything like this pea. Still think they are possibly Penny Rile. Will plant them and compare the plant/bloom appearance to the photo posted.
    Thanks for all the help.

• rodger
    15 years ago

If you planted Pinkeye peas and these were from a reliable source or if self saved not grown near other peas you have a sport or a natural mutation. If the pinkeyes were self saved and grown around other peas could be a cross either case if what you planted was all the same looking seed this would be a new sport or cross. To determine if a sport of cross you will have to grow them out for two years. If they are a sport they should bred true each year. If they are a cross the first year will appear the same(F-1 hybrid seed)but the secound year only half will be the same the remaining seed will be a mix of the two parents if my memory is right on genetics, you also need to look at plant type could have a long vining pea or bush pea with same type of seed , so not only would seed characteristics be differnt but the plant and bloom color can vary.You could then plant only the ones that are the same for 5-7 generations at which point you should have a stable dehybridiize open pollinated pea. either case if you only planted pinkeye you have a sport or cross so not a named typed. Rodger

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations