Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean gas?

Posted by zeedman 5_Great Lakes (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 12, 08 at 1:55

When blanching beans for freezing, I observe that they effervesce violently when they hit the boiling water. This is most pronounced for green-shelled beans & limas, which bubble furiously for a second or so. Probably part of that is just the release of air trapped inside, but that would not account for the enormous volume I observed. Does anyone know what gas is being released?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean gas?

Oh, I know the answer to this, thanks largely to a book from about 20 years ago called 'Kitchen Science'

What happens when you throw any solid into boiling water is that the surfaces, which are very jagged on a microscopic level, provide "nucleating sites" where water molecules can latch on and form bubbles of vapor -- to see this in action, throw a bit of salt or sugar into some water just at the boiling point. Or, an even better example of this are the Mentos fountains people make by dropping Mentos candies into bottles of Diet Coke.

An interesting and somewhat related phenomenon (well, actually the opposite, I guess) happens when you super-cool a bottle of water under pressure (sealed cap), and then either shake it or open the cap and release the pressure -- it will instantly freeze up. Fun to do, just throw a bottle of water in the freezer, and pull it out when extremely cold but not yet frozen, and it will often do this when you open the cap.

The gas coming up from your beans is simply water vapor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here