Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long beans - what is your sweetest one??

Posted by dancinglemons 7B (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 2:26

Hello all,

I wonder if all of the long bean growers here would recommend their sweetest variety. I grew Liana, Oriental Wonder and Chinese Red - all were good but Oriental Wonder has been the most prolific. Now I want to branch out and try a long bean that is sweet. The OW's are mildly sweet and very beany. I found Liana to be good bean flavor but not sweet and Chinese Red was OK but temperamental in my garden.

Recommendations??

Thanks!
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long beans - what is your sweetest one??

Try this one

http://www.ferry-morse.com/product_detail.aspx?id=2113

o

Well, sweetness is a relative term when discussing yardlongs. Even the sweetest will not approach the sweetness of a snap bean. The sweetest I've tried, though, were "Chinese Red Noodle" (widely available) and "Galante" (a commercial variety from the Philippines). Both are also extremely firm, so they hold up to cooking well.

There is an interesting trial of long beans here. While very informational, it only covers seed from two of the largest suppliers of long beans. They rated "Black Stripe" from Evergreen Y. H. as the sweetest, but it was also late, and had a relatively low yield.

I wish some of the varieties carried by Kitazawa had been tested as well, especially since the trial was conducted in California - where Kitazawa is located. Perhaps they were not offering as many varieties at the time.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 20:08

Are not yard beans a running pea?
Mine are & I cook them as peas.

o

I guess technically yardlongs would be "running peas", given that most varieties are aggressive climbers. However, they were bred/selected for different purposes... and due to their long pods, do poorly if left to run on the ground. Too much snail & insect damage.

Yardlongs were bred for the length & tenderness of their immature pods, much as snap beans were bred for that purpose. They are, IMO, not as good used as seeds. They are more difficult to shell than peas bred for use as seeds, and the seeds often have clinging membranes which are difficult to remove. You can eat them as peas - I have - but the ones I tried were nothing special. There are many varieties of cowpea which are much better suited for use as shell peas.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 15:53

zeedman, I have to agree.
I am new to yard beans & thought I was getting a 36" string bean.
But the vine looked like my Black eyed peas.
I used them like snap peas(immature pea pods, that are mixed with whole peas).
But the biggest surprise, is the black butter beans.
I think I have seen it all now......maybe.:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here