Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are These Pole Beans Worth Saving For Next Year?

Posted by suntower z5 WA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 3:01

Hi,

Seattle area.

I just picked my last beans... which I left to save for seed. Unfortunately, we got a sudden cold snap and they didn't dry out as much as normal.

Normally, they would be 100% -white- and dried out. But this year, they have a very slight tinge of green.

Will they be viable for saving, or should I just buy new seeds for next year.

TIA,

---JC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are These Pole Beans Worth Saving For Next Year?

You could finish drying them, then test them for germination. Put a few in a damp paper towel or coffee filter. Put this packet in a baggy and leave it on top of your fridge for a few days, checking once in a while to see if they germinated.

At today's seed prices it's worth a little effort to save seeds.

Jim

o

most of the time, they will be ok if the pod is at the leathery stage. let them dry, and check the seeds when you shuck them. if they are full size, and solid they will be ok. if they are shrunken or too small, they probably aren't. it should be pretty obvious.

keith

o

Ditto Jim. I had some really ugly bean seed from last year and I did the germination test and they sprouted. I planted and had a great crop from them this year.

o

most of the time, they will be ok if the pod is at the leathery stage. let them dry, and check the seeds when you shuck them. if they are full size, and solid they will be ok. if they are shrunken or too small, they probably aren't. it should be pretty obvious.

keith

o

Thanks!

---JC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here