Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting beans in fall for spring - volunteers??

Posted by dancinglemons 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 3:56

Hello all,

This year (2012) I had an abundance of long bean volunteers. Somehow the seeds dropped into the soil last summer (2011) stayed there over the winter and sprouted in late spring. Does anyone know what happens if I am the one to put the seeds into the soil right where I want them to grow? Has anyone planted their long bean seeds and left them over winter?? I am in Zone 7B and winter temps usually go down to 20 degrees a few times during winter but temps never stay that low during the day - we usually have some snow but how much can change year to year.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting beans in fall for spring - volunteers??

I don't know about beans, but I pre-planted a couple of rows of potatoes. I figured that it should work since I always have lots of potato volunteers first thing in the spring coming up from the little potatoes I missed the previous year. I'm covering them with a couple of inches of leaves and straw. Beans aren't planted that deep, so maybe you can try that too. It's just an experiment if you have plenty of seed, so have some fun.

o

OK let's try this again. Anyone have knowledge about planting beans (lima and long beans) in the fall to over winter and germinate in the spring??

Thanks,
DL

o

The only bean I know of that can be planted in your zone in the fall and survive the winter are FAVA BEANS

o

I have had runner beans volunteer from seed which fell in the Autumn. But I wouldn't pin my hopes on it as a reliable method of growing a crop. A lot, in fact in my climate the majority, will rot off over the winter. Obviously, if you have lots of seed and lots of space there's no downside to trying. But I'm pretty sure you'll need to sow in spring too.

Regarding favas, my Autumn sowing has been in 2 weeks. Even they are prone to rotting and mice so I always do several more sowings in succession in the spring.

o

I had planted the Insuk runner beans last year. Over the winter the leaves were all gone and it was trimmed to just an inch in height from the ground. This year it came and has produced the best crop till now. I am in zone 9.

o

Purnim - runner beans are perennial in their native habitat (S America)and in mild areas, like yours, the roots can overwinter. They look a bit like dahlia tubers. They occasionally overwinter in my climate but I doubt very much they would do so in 7b. They will not survive any freezing in the ground. I suspect Dancinglemons' volunteers came from dropped seed rather than roots, but if she mulched heavily and the ground did not freeze it is possible they came from roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here