Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adzuki bean

Posted by cubathy UK (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 8:04

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for some information on growing adzuki beans but can not seem to find anything about growing them for green beans or dry beans (although there's lots about sprouting). I've been told the best time to sow is June/July in the UK. Can anyone tell me roughly when I can expect a crop?

Many thanks, Jacob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adzuki bean

This cousin of the cowpea requires about 4 months to maturity. Usually used as a dried bean/pea. It has a myriad of names and spellings. Bush form about 2 feet tall, with yellow blossoms. Can be planted in the same manner as bush dry shelling beans.

o
RE: Adzuki bean

Ditto on Farmerdilla's comments... except perhaps the DTM. Seed bought from the market would likely have a long DTM, but there are a few early varieties. I have one red-seeded variety ("Tarkara Early") that matures in 90 days. Another variety ("Buff", named for the color of its seeds) matures in just over 100 days. Adzuki beans bear heavily, for me about an ounce (28+ grams) per plant.

Not sure how adzuki would perform in the U.K. though. Like their cousins the cowpeas, they are heat lovers. You might have a better chance if you start them as transplants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here