Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drloyd

The Ideal Snap

drloyd
11 years ago

Many of my family members prefer Fortex over mature Tobacco Worm. But for me, the ideal snap will be more similar to Tobacco Worm as the pods are turning yellow - a snap filled with plump tasty shellies.

So if I could find the perfect snap, it would have a taste and texture similar to ripe Tobacco Worm. And it would hold those qualities until the pods are drying.

This bean would be early so I could start an early batch and start some more as late as early to mid July to enjoy in October. This is what I do with Fortex.

The vines should be robust to that they grow quickly in a cold and soggy June.

This ideal snap would not have strings. I actually enjoy stringing plump Tobacco Worm snaps. But the pods do tend to fall apart when cooked. So this snap would not have stings.

It would be nice if this snap was a greasy bean but not necessary. Bill Best says he has never seen a string free greasy bean.

And it would be nice if the mature pods would hold their quality for weeks. Similar to North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort in that way. Although that does make it harder to save seeds. - Dick

Comments (14)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

My favorite snap, I can't really say right now, each year I say this year we're going to eat more but I end up growing them for seed. So far I haven't been able to narrow it down to one as they all taste pretty good to me and we've really enjoyed all the ones we've tried:). Our good old standbys for donkey's years have been 'Auntie Vi', 'Cherokee Trail of Tears' and 'Mr. Tung'.

The 'Blue Greasy Grits' have been steller this year, even tho they were planted late we've had several good feeds of snaps and the shellies although small are really tasty. I've been throwing a handful in the steamer with whatever veggie I happen to be cooking. We liked them so much I want to try some more greasys, just have to make up my mind which ones and order them.

As far as wax beans go they haven't really turned my crank until now, of all the ones I've grown I couldn't honestly say anything has stood out until I grew 'Barksdale' it's our favorite, each year it gets better and better. I guess it's settling in to our growing conditions. To be fair some of the others I've grown we've only had a taste as they've been grown for seed, maybe there's another winner lurking just around the corner?

I'm really looking forward to growing 'Red Eye Greasy?' next year. It sound like another winner, and, a couple more originally from the Heritage seed library.

Annette

• drloyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So my ideal snap could be called Early Stringless Tobacco Worm Greasy. Or even Early Stringless Tobacco Worm.

Maybe Red Eye Greasy will do the job.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I forgot to add, when or if you find that elusive 'ideal' snap I'll be first in line ;^).

Annette

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Drloyd, I haven't tasted "Tobacco Worm", so I don't know what to recommend with a similar flavor. But if you want a bean with ripe shellies, have you considered a wax bean? I grew an heirloom pole variety this year ("Scharze Witwe") that was stringless in all stages. It has fairly small seeds, though. "Zlatac" is stringless also, and has very good shellies if let go. I haven't tried either of them eaten pod & all.

If my memory serves me, "Striped Cornfield" is also stringless in all stages, and has excellent shellies.

• hementia8
    11 years ago

i am partial to the roma types and in particular to KWINTUS

• hementia8
    11 years ago

i am partial to the roma types and in particular to KWINTUS

• drloyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annette, I will let you know when it happens!

Thank you Zeedman. If you have grown Tennesse Cutshort, Tobacco Worm is similar but a bit later and slimmer. I have used Striped Cornfield as a snap. Interesting bean.

Hementia I do grow Kwintus and like it. They still have usable shellies here but the pods have been inedible for some time. - Dick

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

I want a snap bean that is also a good canner. Unfortunately, Fortex is a bit soft for the purpose. Emerite comes very close, but misses by a tad on flavor and texture. I very much agree re Tobacco Worm. It would be easy to cross Tobacco Worm with Fortex. Why don't you breed your own specialty bean?

DarJones

• drloyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dar, the only way I know of to do a cross would be to interplant them.

• remy_gw
    11 years ago

DrLloyd,
    I think you are going to be very very happy with the Red Eye Greasy.
    Remy

• drloyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Remy. From all accounts, it will be the winner.

I am still having jealousy attacks over missing Berea! - Dick

• hemnancy
    11 years ago

Dick- "This bean would be early so I could start an early batch and start some more as late as early to mid July to enjoy in October. This is what I do with Fortex."

I have the pole bean for you if this is your main criterion, Grandma Robert's Purple Pole Bean. Of course there are a number of bush beans that can accomplish this but GRPP is the earliest pole bean I have grown- it does have very light strings, easy to pull. Contender is about the earliest bush bean I have grown. A number of bush beans can handle being sown twice in a season. My bush snap heirlooms Yer Fasulaysi romano bean and Pisarecka Zlutoluske wax bean can handle 2 crops in a season, as can a number of other romano snaps.

• drloyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Nancy. Thank you for the suggestion. After your Anellino Giallo this last summer, any suggestion from you is likely to be a winner! I will let you know as the bean patch plan shapes up. - Dick

• hartford
    11 years ago

I had rave reviews from everybody on the Crockett Bush Bean I planted this year. It produced for months and gave away a ton of them. Everybody kept asking me for more beans and said it was the best bean they ever had...lol

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting