Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Photos from Berea, KY Seed Swap

remy_gw
12 years ago

Hi All,

I saw a post somewhere else and I realized I should post a link to my pics here since some of you were interested in the event at Bill Best's Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center.

It was a great time. I spent the whole day talking about seeds! I met people I've known for years on the computer like Gardenlad that used to post here and made new friends too.

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Berea, KY Photos

Comments (15)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Remy I forgot to ask, did you find any new to you heirlooms to try :).

Annette

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Of course Annette : ) I got a few beans.
    Seneca Speckled Egg is really cool looking, small roundish tan-brown speckled beans.
    Purple Tip
    Big John
    October
    John D. White
    Hazel Gil

I also came home with a few other things like garlic and tomatoes.
    I could of got more, but that would of been silly since I can only grow so many at a time.
    I spent a lot of time talking. I had no idea I would field so many questions, but it was fun to have so many people interested in gardening and heirlooms wanting to know more. I especially enjoyed the younger adults. They are the future preservationists!
    Remy

• deanriowa
    12 years ago

Some nice pictures. I am hoping to be able to attend one of these years to swap and get some more interesting beans.

The potluck looked good.

Dean

• jolj
    12 years ago

Thanks for the photos.
    Could you post a thread next year, as soon as you get details on the next seed swap.
    I like the old jars as much as the colorful beans.

• growmomma
    10 years ago

I'm going to the seed swap this coming weekend (10/5/13) and would appreciate any advice or suggestions that anyone can provide for making the most of the experience!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent growmomma message, but I'll re-post what I told her as I'm sure others might be asking the same things.
    . Many people bring seeds to swap from their gardens. Some people like me also have commercial (but OP/Heirlooms seeds) packs from their business too. But I use them to swap with regular gardeners. So my set up is I trade or give a free pack or two out, and if people want more, then they buy. Some people just swap and a few people just sell. So there is no right or wrong :) It is definitely the place to be for seeds!
    Bill also does a tour and last year he did a demo. He tries to change it up to keep it interesting.
    The first year I went, I did not have table, but they made space for me. I brought my own table last year. (This is for people doing major swapping. Many people just come to brows the tables and chat, and maybe have a few packets of seeds on them to trade.)
    There is potluck lunch. If you want you can bring something. But is is not required. For traveling, I always suggest something that won't go bad like cookies or cake.
    The lady directly across the street from the swap has made a B&B in her home.It can't be any more convenient. http://goosehilldowns.com/
    The hotel I stayed at was the Boone Tavern, very nice place. http://www.boonetavernhotel.com/
    There are also a cluster of hotels right near the thruway exit too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos from 2012 Swap

• sea_kangaroo
    9 years ago

Anybody from the forum planning on going this year?

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will be there again. I don't have photo album from last year, but I can tell you was huge. There were over 200 people for sure.
    Remy

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Pictures please :).

Annette

• drloyd
    9 years ago

Frank Barnett, like Bill Best, is a serious bean researcher who roams Appalachia in search of new varieties. I have gotten some really nice full type beans from him. Anyone who gets to go to the gathering might want to visit with him. - Dick

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Frank is a very nice man.
    Annette, We will take pics :)

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All,
    It was a great time as usual.
    My SIL did get some pics taken. You can see them on the link below.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Berea Seed Swap

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Nice photos, Remy. Wish I could have been there this year, but couldn't spare that much time off from work. Did manage to get to Heritage Farm over the Labor Day weekend, though, and it was a productive visit.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zeedman, You were missed. A few people said something to me asking about you. One lady in particular wanted to contact you. Some bean you gave her did really well. I did give her my card so she could get a hold of me to get a hold of you.

• blueflint
    9 years ago

We had a great time but as usual...it went way too fast. It is always good to see old friends and meet new ones too! I picked up about a dozen new beans this year. Dinner Saturday night was great too as we were able to relax and enjoy...but how long were we in there? Seems like a lot of people came and went before we did. Lots of laughter and giggling going on.

Did you see how much better Bill was getting around? His hip replacement went very well. He also had cataract surgery yesterday.

Tony

Sponsored