Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do about beans seeds picked too soon.

Posted by lakedallasmary 8a north texas (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 2, 06 at 12:26

I shelled up some seeds of Texas longhorn southern peas a day or two ago. They aren't completely dry, now what? They are dark maroon, and mostly dry, but not completey rock hard.

Should I consider them compost material, or let them air dry? Is it better to let them dry inside or outside. It is very hot and dry here, like still reaching 90's every day.

I think they may be OK, but does picking dry beans too soon affect sprouting, and storage life?

I found these beans (as fresh) taste better when the pods get red, but sometimes they get dry before they get completely red, so I end up with seeds instead. What is the best stage to pick them (for fresh use)? I have the same problem with rice beans, and california black eyes. That is, ending up with seeds, waiting till the pods are yellow or red.

Also how to tell when dry enough to pick for seeds. I am the impatient sort.

I am so clueless. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do about beans seeds picked too soon.

Mary, once the pods have filled out most of the seed will be viable. So all you're faced with is drying them.

I shuck the seed into baskets and let them air dry, mixing the seeds a couple of times a day with my fingers. Eventually they'll all be fully dried, and you can put them up.

What you don't need for seed can be used as a dry pea. Just think of how you prepare dry beans. Only difference is, peas do not need the overnight soaking.

Most published recipes for Southern peas specify Black-Eyed Peas. But you can substitute any cowpea with no ill effects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here