Red Bisbee started producing in July and is still going strong
It has surpast Red Ripper as my favorite which it resembles in all respects
Both are very deliious however the RB appears more productive

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Bisbee Cowpeas

Those are some nice looking cowpeas.

How did you prepare them?

Might have to add them to my future grow list. I wonder if they would grow up north? Note: Purple hull do quite well here. I checked SSE and didn't see them listed, where did you pickup the seed?

thanks,

Dean

o

Dean if you can grow pink eye purple hull or any other cow pea you should be able to grow RB
It does require strong support as it will grow to 10+ feet if given tall support
I got them from Baker Creak a few years ago
I have them listed in my trade list
I will also have them listed in the 2013 SSE year book
Charlie

o

Dean, I have been told that my "21 peas" is the same as "Red Ripper", and it grew successfully in my location. You should be able to grow "Red Bisbee". I might consider trying it as well.

o

"...it will grow to 10+ feet if given tall support ..."

Is it correct to infer that Red Bisbee yields more peas in a given amount of ground space than shorter peas?

Jim

o

"Is it correct to infer that Red Bisbee yields more peas in a given amount of ground space than shorter peas?"

I too would be interested in your opinion on that question, Hementia, since I believe you grow quite a few other cowpeas.

My guess is that pole cowpeas would have a yield advantage over their bush counterparts similar to that of pole beans over bush beans... for a single row. However, multiple rows would require greater spacing between rows for pole varieties due to shading, while rows of bush varieties could be more closely spaced. I suspect that for multiple rows in a given wide plot or bed, the yields would be comparable.

o

RB as well as RR out produced the bush varieties 10 fold and are still producing wheras the bush varieties have long gave up the ghost.
I prefer growing all beans,limas and cowpeas on poles as the bush beans are to hard on an old man's back,besides they are easier to see
I also find all pole types are longer living thus more productive
Charlie

o

Z both RB and RR for me, have an average of 19 seeds and occasionally have 20 or 21
The lenght of both average 11" and RB sometimes 12"
RB has a red hull whereas RR is purple hull before they dry to brown

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here