Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

You know that you are addicted to planting beans when..

I was at my Dr.'s office this morning, for a follow up from 3 weeks ago.

Three weeks ago, while I was sitting there next to a freshly watered ficus tree, I was bored and waiting. I found a green bean seed in the pocket of my jacket. I couldn't help it, I stuck it in the dirt!

When I went in this morning it was up and had latched on to the tree! I asked the lady behind the desk if she had noticed it, with plans to confess.

But she got excited and said isn't that pretty! Then asked me if I knew what it could be. I told her it's a green bean vine and she got even more excited!

I couldn't confess then. But I did tell her it will probably die from lack of sun.

Comments (9)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Doesn't everyone have a bean seed or two in their pockets, just in case. LOL.

Annette

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

People at work make fun of "Farmer Ted" because of things I pull out of my pockets all of the time!

I'm an electrician so I carry wire nuts and assorted small electrical fittings in my pockets so that I don't have to go back to the truck. When I change clothes, half asleep in the morning, I just grab whatever is in my pockets and transfer.

Someone will ask me for a wire nut or something. I pull out a handful of whatever I have in my pocket. There will be seeds, small peppers and okra, and about anything that I might just grab from the garden the day before and forget!

My jackets and coats can contain lots of other garden stuff! Thermometers, seed packets, small packs of fertilizer........ :)

This post was edited by wertach on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 17:56

• tormato
    9 years ago

Many, many years ago I used to go fishing with earth and earthworms in a shirt pocket. I couldn't waste time looking for a container to put them in. At the end of the days fishing it would usually be hot, so my shirt and I would do a few rinse cycles in the brook, before heading home.

Gary

• Macmex
    9 years ago

When I first started seed saving, back in the 80s, I used to carry a couple colorful bean seeds in my pocket, a lot of the time. Whenever there was a "convenient" pause in a conversation I would often pull out one or two of those beans and start to explain about the varieties. My father-in-law concluded that I could "spin a yarn" over any bean seed at all!

I have done the exact same thing with Jacobs Cattle, back around 1985. I remember being at grad school, one afternoon, and sitting on the side of a planter, waiting for a ride. I suddenly noticed that there was a hole in the vinca, planted there. So, I reached into my pocket and pulled out that Jacob's Cattle seed, poking it into the ground. It came up before the week was out. I was disappointed, the next week, to discover that someone on grounds had weeded it out.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

LOL, your pockets sound like mine, but I don't remember planting any seeds in random planters!

A few years ago I noticed a tomato seedling growing in the middle of a newly planted shrub in the parking lot island of a nearby store where I frequently shop. I was happy to see that it grew all summer and even produced a few tomatoes. And yes, I probably did shop there a few extra times just to see if it was still there.

• Susan Levy
    9 years ago

Okay im a bean fiend ! Every winter I start my beans inside. In fact I started mine way early in side . Hope they grow sue

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Beans, peas, and soybeans find their way into my pockets too. This usually happens when I am picking the first dry pod in a patch, or when I see a dry pod I missed in a previous picking. If I were to go through all of my jackets & hoodies, I could probably find a few seeds even now.

You know you are a bean addict when you have beans in your jacket linings, because they fell through tiny holes in the pockets. Fun to get out, those.

• jwr6404
    9 years ago

I'm not a Beaner as I only grow Insuk's Wang Kong. I recently tried to order/locate Butter Beans for my nephew in Korea. I ordered online from Amazon.com, only place I could find them, and received 5 packages of seeds from Canada, They are a Soy Bean named Butter Bean. I will not grow them and hate tossing them in the trash. I'm willing to send them at no cost, including postage, to someone who would want them.

Jim

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Jim, "Butterbean" is one of the better edamame soybeans, but it probably would not mature in your location. I grew it several times, and really enjoyed it... I only stopped growing it so I could focus on varieties in greater need of preservation.

I hope someone takes you up on your offer. Odd that your seed came from Canada, though; Johnny's sells them here in the U.S..

By "butter beans", do you mean limas? If so, I could send you a number of varieties... just let me know.

BTW Jim, your "Insuk's" did spectacularly well for me this year, my best year ever for runner beans. The cool summer had a lot to do with that, it only hit 90 F. once, and then only till the front rolled through.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA