Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

The Beans I grew this year

The growing season is winding down there are only three varieties still plugging along in the garden, Blue Greasy Grit, Barksdale and the Gigandes. I gathered a handful of dried Barksdale seed yesterday with more on the way. This has been a stellar bean for me this year, what do they say 3rd year's a charm? This has to be my favorite wax bean to date.

Blue Greasy Grit (8 Plants).... First year growing and planted late this one has really produced for me, the vines are still loaded with usable snaps, fingers crossed some will have enough time to mature into seed, if not I have enough seed for another season. (Note to self, Plant earlier).

Gigandes ( I think 20 plants).... Planted early enough, seemed to be a weak grower at first that is until they exploded into growth, it's a jungle out there. Mega flowering but the first flush all dropped except for one or two. Second flush, some beans formed then the heat hit at the wrong time and the rest of the flowers dropped. Third flush of flowers took, lots of beans formed with quite a few at the shelly stage now (so far at the shelly stage the beans are measuring just under 1 1/2 inches) I only have about a dozen dried seed picked so far hoping for a lot more. More interested in getting seed this year than eating them.

Now the others, again most were grown for seed.

Serbian Pole (5 plants)....I finally got my hands on 10 seeds, grew 5, they grew well and produced a fair amount of seed, the leaves on the lower part of the vines had some white markings, don't know if this is the nature of the beast, growing conditions (it was still pretty cool out) or something else. I started one more and grew it in the greenhouse, the leaves look good and the beans it produced are well on their way to seed.

Grandma's Yugoslavian (grew 4 plants)....A temporary name I gave them, got the seed from a member of our garden club. No other information other than someone's grandmother brought them over from Yugoslavia with her when she immigrated. These look suspiciously like the Serbian Poles I had so much trouble finding seed for both in freshly harvested seed and the beans themselves. Wouldn't it be something if I had Serbian Pole all along and didn't know it.

Uzice Speckled Wax (4 plants).... Grown just for seed they produced just under 1/2 lb. dried seed. The pods are really pretty when maturing pale yellow with purple along one edge. Haven't tasted these yet, next time.

Selma Zebra (grew 4 Plants).... didn't do so good with this one, the spot where I had them planted was a little too shady but managed to get a few seeds, this one looks suspiciously like the 'Swiss Landfrauen' I grew in both pod and seed. didn't have enough of either of these beans to taste.

Swiss landfrauen (4 plants).... Grown for seed in a half barrel, something ate two and the other two grew away from their poles and before long were playing cozy with a climbing rose, needless to say I've only picked a couple of pods for seed so far. Very similar to 'Selma Zebra' in both pod, seed and growth habit.

Cherokee Trail of Tears (main crop).... what can I say good old reliable, bumper crop, we ate the heck out of them, one of DH's favorites, produced lots of seed and there's more I just have to pick them.

Bosnian Pole (8 Plants).... Was growing them to eat until I looked at my seed stash, didn't realize I had given so many away. We might have only had them once for supper but I now have 14ozs. of dried seed to add to my stash. This is one of our favorite beans.

Irish Conners (8 plants).... This bean came from the Populuxe Seed Bank, I returned half the seed I harvested back to the bank. Another I grew for seed so we didn't eat any.

This is what I know about this bean....

Ken Conners was born in Ireland in 1898, his family immigrated to Boston, Massachusetts in 1900, and then again moved to New Brunswick, Canada in 1907, They made their way out west and settled in the Vancouver B.C. area. The family is still around but in the interior of B.C. The seed color is a rich chestnut brown when fully dried, The plants are moderately large (6ft.), white flowers, pods are straight, 6-8inches long with 6-8 beans per pod, uses snap or dry. Not one for high heat, early producer. Dry in 70-80 days.

Turkey Craw (4 plants).... Grown for seed this year, want to try leather britches, it is said to be a good variety for this. These 4 plants produced quite a bit of seed.

Jeminez (4 Plants).... Grown for seed which are already picked, these were banished from the garden and grown on my neighbor's carport because of their promiscuous nature. I now have enough seed to grow for a couple of years without worrying about seed.

San Antonio (4 plants, something ate two :( ).... Grown for seed and will do so again next year. This bean originally came from the Heritage Seed Library in the UK. From what I've read it can be used as a snap when young but better as a shelly.

Kew Blue (4 plants).... Again grown for seed and to do a comparison with 'Purple Italian Marconi Stringless' They are definitely different beans. Haven't tasted this one yet, another year.

Purple Italian Marconi Stringless (8 plants).... Grown for seed but did manage to eat a few, delicious will grow again next year.

Wood Mountain Crazy beans (8 plants)..... Grown strictly for the seed, I've got to stop giving these away they are so tasty.

Black Jungle Butter Beans (4 plants).... grown in the greenhouse they produced enough beans for a couple of meals and enough seed for next year I'm hooked, they are delicious.

Chinese Red Noodle (4 Plants).... grown in the greenhouse a complete flop not even one flower :) We had a couple of feeds the first time I grew them, really enjoyed them but I don't think I'll be growing these again, use the space for BJBB's instead :)

The next 3 I just grew samples of, two potato beans Deseronto and Duanne Baptiste to compare pods and seed. Regal Salad to see if they tasted as good as they're supposed to raw, they do. I only have so much room.

Received a couple more varieties originally from the Heritage Seed Library in the UK which I hope to grow next year all going well.

Mustn't forget the 'Shiraz' snow peas.... we are now snacking on peas grown from seed harvested from the first planting, what can I say other than we love them, a tasty, crunchy and even sweeter this time around snow pea, pretty too.

How about you, how did your season go?????

Annette

Comments (10)

• hementia8
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Annette,you seem to have the same addition as I have LOL
    I had a great year,unlike last year when we had a long drought
    Everything is finished except the lima beans and cowpeas
    I notice you have quite a few that I do not have.
    If you want to extend your addiction further,maybe we can trade
    Check out my trade list
    Charlie

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    11 years ago

The season is over for me as of tonight, but I still have quite a bit of bean seed left to shell & clean. I will post my results when everything has been weighed.

Much to the amusement of DW (who enjoys shelling beans by hand as much as I do) our living room is packed pretty much wall-to-wall with stacks of cafeteria trays of seed drying. The ceiling fan there has proven ideal for that purpose.

It was a really great year overall, especially for Vignas, limas, and my soybean collection; I'll still be shelling them yet for at least a week or two. There's something therapeutic about shelling seeds by hand, it lessens the blow after the killing frost.

More later, after results have been tallied.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention BE#3 in this thread, this one has done extremely well also the last two years. From one pole 8 strings I harvested 1 1/2 lbs. of dry seed.

I've been watching the weather reports, our night temps are getting down there so today I'm going to pick all the Gigandes, Blue Greasy Grits and Barksdale, dry the mature ones inside on screens, blanch and freeze the rest. I will come back later with how much or how many seed I got from these three.

Charlie, I'm going to attempt emailing you, lately this function through GW hasn't been working for me.

Annette

Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks like we got a reprieve on our weather for a few days, I did pick the Barksdale the pods weren't crispy dry so they're on a screen, you guessed it in the living room under a fan.

I want to leave the Gigandes as long as possible, our nights are still in the 40's, I'll cover the trellis with a comforter if it becomes necessary, on a good year I think I'd have seed picked by now.

I've picked some Blue Greasy Grits their pods are packed tight with beans, no spaces and the beans are all uniform in size, not like some others where there are some undeveloped beans. Another bean I grew and harvested seed early was the little Comtesse de Chambord, I forgot to mention that one.

Annette

• Macmex
    11 years ago

So glad Barksdale did well for you! We had yet another record breaking wave of heat & drought. Here's hoping I can produce seed next year.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Original Author
    11 years ago

George, those Barksdale just melt in your mouth, our favorite wax bean to date :).
    We had the opposite kind of weather, prolonged winter, no spring, dull, rain, dull, rain. Summer came late but other than one hot spell it's been lovely, now we are back to dull showery days.
    When summer finally arrived the rain disappeared, I think we broke the record for the length of time it didn't rain. Still very mild out, nights in the 40's. Wishing you a better growing season next year.

Annette

• drloyd
    11 years ago

Anellino Giallo is a yellow wax bean that I received in a swap from a GW member. It is called a "shrimp bean" due to its unusual shrimp or fishhook shape. I did not have very high hopes for it so I just gave it seven feet of trellis which is half a trellis. DW and most of my family members think that long and slender beans like Fortex are the best anyway so would anyone even want to try it?

It began producing later than Fortex or Emerite and it turned out that it had a very pleasant flavor. It was a favorite with DW. No matter how fat with maturing seeds thay got, she kept enjoying them.

I kept waiting for them to dry. The hulls developed purple streaks but no sign of drying. They would hold on the vines for weeks. Finally the end of September some of them started to go leathery and in October a few started to dry and partially dry pods were collected for seed.

Yesterday I picked some of the partially dry stragglers and steamed them. They still had fine eating qualities - no strings, no toughness and fine flavor. Black shellies in tender hulls.

Next year some should be started in pots to make seed saving easier. - Dick

• Macmex
    11 years ago

We did manage to produce seed of Tennessee Cutshort, Woods Mountain Crazy Bean, Fowler Bush Bean and Calico Willow Leaf Pole Lima. Still, it was a very marginal year for beans.

George

• drloyd
    11 years ago

Thank you for your report Annette. It is always helpful to hear from you in your similar climate. I was interested that you also grew Kew Blue. I rated it only fair in eating quality so will probably not grow it again. Part of the reason was that I grew it near Anellino Giallo the yellow shrimp bean which was outstanding. So Kew Blue did not impress me compared to those.

George I often wonder what it would be like to garden in an area where summers are hot and Limas grow. It seems that you had too much of a good thing. Something half way between your climate and mine would be great.

Zeedman I am glad that you got to try Clem & Sarah's this year. It is a good bean but it did not tolerate your heat or my cold mud very well. My best bush shelly/dry bean this summer was Stockbridge Indian.

Dolloff is one of those beans best suited to cooler summers. A GW member sent me a photo of stunted looking seeds grown by a bean pro in a hot area along side the larger and healthier looking seeds she got from me.

Perhaps Uzice Speckled Wax also favors a cooler summer. Here they are a very strong climber with a heavy tangled mass and lots of pods along the top rebar. Pods are about 9 inches long and no curl. The one difficulty I had with them was that the pods do not want to dry. They remain soft on the vine for weeks and even in my large drying loft with a fan on them, they were very slow to dry.

Your descripton of Soissons Vert reminded me of Tarbais which wanted to make a carpet rather than climb. - Dick