Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dang crows! I hope they choke!

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 14:59

My Fava beans are sprouting and a few were peaking through the dirt yesterday. When I got home from work today the crows were having a feast. GGGGGRRRRRR!

They seemed to be taunting me, standing there with beans as big as their head in their mouths. I nailed 4 with my shotgun (3 in the air) before the rest got away. I probably would have gotten more but I only had 4 shells.

It may seem gruesome to some but I have 4 crows hanging on poles to hopefully scare the others away.

The deer are next................... HEE HEE!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dang crows! I hope they choke!

Maybe cover up the rows with a light mulch? If they can't see the sprouts from the trees they'll be less likely to go after them, IME.

They sure can do a lot of damage. Sounds like you need a scarecrow, maybe one holding a shotgun, aye?

o

Chicken wire tunnels aka pea guards work well. The problem I get is wood pigeons eating pea seedlings. Mice eat the favas but only the beans, not the shoots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pea guard

o

"Sounds like you need a scarecrow, maybe one holding a shotgun, aye?" LOL

The real scare crows, dead hanging on the poles, seems to be working. But they smell pretty bad! LOL

I haven't saw a crow or any other bird in the garden after I hung them up!

o

i put shiny cd discs all around the plants, some swinging from twine and others lying on the ground shiny side up, around the plants. works everytime.

o

I second using cd disks, works like a charm for me too, that is when I remember to do it :).

Annette

o

Sadly, I haven't found CDs very effective against my pigeon predators. Only a physical barrier stops them. Even netting must be high and taut or they just sit on it, weighing it down until the plants poke through the holes!

o

I've had success with camouflage. Birds just sit right next to the spinning, shining disks and peck away.
I just sprinkle anything green- grass, leaves, etc. down the row after planting, making the new sprouts less obvious. Repeat until sprouts are bigger and less tempting.

o

oldpea - I think you have something there. I tried using bolted kale plants laid over a row of pea seedlings last year. It was quite effective. And now I have a row of baby kale plants growing which I didn't need to sow.

o

The survivors are about 8" tall now. The crows got about 1/3 of them or I had some that didn't sprout. Enough to eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here