Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tumblingtomatoes

Cherokee Trail of Tears, Dragon's Tongue& Shrimp Beans

tumblingtomatoes
15 years ago

Hi new at this......have a question.......

Can someone tell me about the taste of Cherokee Trail of tears beans, Dragon's Tongue beans & Stortino Di Trento (annelino crescent/shrimp) beans?

How are they best prepared (pods edible?), would they grow well in Florida (Central/Space Coast area) & what are good/reputable company to order from?

Do these cross polinate if planted close together (small garden)?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

I believe they are all in the same scientific family and can cross. But if you give them, say 15' distance and save seed from plant farthest from other types, you can probably save seed.

I don't know about growing them in your area as I have no experience there. I did grow the Dragon Tongue beans back in the 80s. They were delicious. They were, however, less susceptible to weevils than any other bean I've grown. Still, I've seen MANY positive reviews about this bean.

I have not grown the Cherokee Trail of Tears bean. But many here have. Hopefully someone will give you input on it.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• blueflint
    15 years ago

The Cherokee TOT bean is a very good producer, somewhat tolerant of drought conditions and young pods are tender. Seed Savers Exchange has this for sale and it is the proper/correct seed. I can also help you with seed if you contact me by email at alwest_83@yahoo.com

Blueflint

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Blueflint, will email you!

• albionwood
    15 years ago

Dragon's Tongue is my favorite snap bean. Pick them when the pods are full size but before the seeds swell, and they are tender, juicy, and flavorful. MUCH better than any green or purple bean IMO. I'm told they also make good dry beans, but haven't tried them that way. I usually saute them in olive oil with garlic or shallots, then finish with sherry and/or cream. Heavenly! They are also very good raw.

Downside: They are a bush bean, and the pods hide beneath the leaf canopy, making them a real pain in the back to harvest. Grow them in a raised bed if you can, it makes picking a lot more tolerable. I wish these were available as a pole bean!

Second downside: You can't freeze them. They get tough and lose all flavor. :(

Have no idea how they will do in your climate. Here on the cool Mendocino coast, they germinate well and grow more reliably than most P. vulgaris.

• hairymooseknuckles
    15 years ago

Albionwood,

Thanks for the info about freezing them. I will keep that in mind when I sew mine next year.

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the info appreciate it, they do sound tasty, very pretty too

• woodi
    14 years ago

I am growing Cherokee Trail of Tears this year. I have never grown pole beans before, so I have nothing to compare them to. But, they are WONDERFUL!!!! I had to turn the vines around at 7' tall, and train them to come back down my trellis, which is made of "hog wire". I pick a huge bowl every two to three days, and only have about 10 plants. I will grow them again next year!!

• Annie
    13 years ago

I am Cherokee and would like to have some of these TOTs bean seeds to grow...and eat. The vine type.
    If anyone can help me with this, please email me.

Hi George!
    Long time since we've communicated!

Thanks for this post.

sweetannie4u

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals