Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about avoiding cross pollination

Posted by cabrita 9b & 10a (21 & 23) (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 15:48

I want to save more seeds next year and trying to learn to keep them pure. I figure things do not cross pollinate all around the Fabacea family, but I was wondering about across genus and varieties.

Lets say in the spring I plant some yard long beans (vigna unguiculala sesquipedalis), I should also be able to plant regular green beans lets say Kentucky wonder (Phaseolus Vulgaris) next to them without danger of cross pollination, right? Is this combination OK, since they are different genus?

Now what about within the same genus? Let say I want to plant any bean, for example purple pole beans (phaseolus vulgaris), should I not plant Phaseolus lunatus (lima beans) in the vicinity? or is this still OK? Will they interbreed?

I am also assuming chick peas (cicer arietinum) are OK to plant next to regular peas (Pisum sativum) without danger of cross pollination, is this right? But the different Pisum sativum like sugar snap peas, shelling peas and snow peas might interbreed?

Any information on this is much appreciated,
Cabrita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about avoiding cross pollination

Here is a thread which addresses that question. It's not the only one.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Non-crossing Bean Species

o

Here's another.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Cross-Pollination

o

• Posted by cabrita 9b & 10a (21 & 23) (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 3, 08 at 15:15

Thank you Jim!

I had done a search before posting the question but did not find a lot...as much as I like this forum and all the helpful and knowledgeable members, the search function could be improved IMHO.

I read the former threads and I am glad my intuition was right. So I learned that one is safe staying with different genus. I also gather from some of the responses that if cow peas and yard long beans can cross, then so can limas and common beans, even though no one stated this explicitly. Is that right?

Also, that if by any chance, an inter-genus cross happens, this is very rare and it is cause for rejoicing, not concern, as one has then potentially another variety/species? The one thing I did find strange though is that those in the latter case are fertile. Would it not be like horses and donkeys breeding mules but they are infertile (I mean the mules). I know, legumes are not horses....

o

Don't feel bad, cabrita. I remembered those threads, one of which was mine, so I knew where they were and found them quickly and easily.

Cross-pollination and isolation distances are topics of great interest to most of us beanophiles. We need a comprehensive listing to reference. I had hoped that would be included in the proposed bean lexicon which has been discussed from time to time. Originally, it was thought that this forum could have a FAQ like some other forums have. Unfortunately, from what I have heard on other forums, GW no longer supports new FAQs. We need to check into that.

Jim

o

There are always exceptions to rules, but in a nutshell, there are few natural interspecies crosses. P. Lunatus and P. Vulgaris do not cross. It is rare for P.Vulgaris to cross with in specie. Cowpeas and Yardlongs are the same species so they will cross within the species. There are few interspecies hybrids in vegetables, and the few that I am aware of are chemically manipulated to make the hybrid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here