Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berea KY Swap/Sale 10/05/2013, Photos, etc.

Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 17:30

Hi All,
I once again got to go to the Sustainable Mt. Agriculture Center Swap that Bill Best organizes every year. It is always the first Sat. in Oct. On the link is photos from the swap.
A lot of people showed up this year definitely over 200 people!! It was perfect storm of good weather, an article in the Lexington, KY paper, and a local TV show.
ZeedMan that many of you know made the trip down form WI. So that was great to finally meet him. As usual BlueFlint was there too. They both brought a great assortment of seeds. GrowMamma came too, and we got to sit and talk for a bit once it calmed down which was very nice.
I thought I brought enough seeds, but I got wiped out really fast! I also made a whole crock pot of Beans and Greens for the potluck lunch. That turned out good as everyone had never had it before.
If you love to talk seeds, trade, etc. it is definitely worth the trip. The town is an art and crafts place so there is also lots of shopping/window browsing to do too.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Swap Photo Album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berea KY Swap/Sale 10/05/2013, Photos, etc.

What a day! I picked up 9 unique beans I have never heard of, most from Jackson County Kentucky. Bill had warned me to bring extra seed, glad I did as many of the items went fast. I even ran out of small seed bags and certain labels. Bill told me the other day there were between 250 and 300 people as many did not sign in. The parking was all the way up the driveway and out into the field by the road. It has taken 10 years of swaps and with the beautiful weather and extra publicity, it really came together this year.

We all appreciate what Bill, his grandson Brian and the family does for all of us. This is a major undertaking and expense to host this. All the cleanup (before and after), the portable potties, etc. Bill asks nothing from any of us but to show up with seed and to enjoy the day with friends.

That evening, Mary and I get together with Rodger and Caren Winn and Caren's brother and sister-in-law for dinner before they headed back. It was very enjoyable to sit and talk with them. I wish we could get together more often.

Rodger and Caren brought with them a watermelon that until recently was thought to be extinct. "Bradshaw" is very large, dark green, ribbed (like a pumpkin), light colored seed, sweet and this thing was picked 6 weeks ago! It was just starting to get mealy from age but I was impressed. It has been grown by the same family for 8 generations (I think) and is one of the base genetic stocks for modern watermelon. Listed in literature going back to the 1840's. Rodger has more information on this (and correct any miss-information I have).

Overall...a fantastic time and BUSY.

Good to see everyone.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here