Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many garbanzo plants do I need?

Posted by ChickenCoupe 7a (seobonbon@gmail.com) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 17:37

Thank you for this forum. I didn't know it was here.

Since I began making pita bread and flat bread my family's consumption of garbanzo bean deep exploded. I never have sufficient beans on hand.

Planting garbanzo next year. Online recommendations are 4-8 plants per person.

For a family of four who eats, at minimum, 2 16 Oz cans of garbanzo beans a WEEK all year long. How many plants do I really need?

How many more plants do I need because of my own gardening failures and bugs and all that......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many garbanzo plants do I need?

bump down.

I finally found a video online where a gentleman bragged of a successful harvest for garbanzo. His individual garbanzo bean plant contained up to 12 bean pods per branch. The plant was extremely productive. It was probably more productive than most as were all his other vegetables. The plant contained what looked to be about 30-35 branches.

On another video showing a garbanzo harvest without as much detail, the woman revealed two beans in a single pod.

This gives me a general idea of bean pod production of one garbanzo bean plant.

I'll anticipate the worst, say, half the production of the gentleman's very prosperous bean plant. Perhaps, I'll be lucky to have around 20 branches with about 5-6 pods per branch with some failing from clay soil, lack of watering and inexperience. Bugs don't usually bother garbanzo beans, btw.

I'll need about 40 garbanzo plants. If I don't fail, I'll have garbanzo beans coming out of my ears.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here