Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Tennessee Greasy, Have you grown It?

remy_gw
10 years ago

Hi All,
This bean is from Sand Hill Preservation. The site description is this:
"A true mix. I've tried for over 10 years to segregate this. I've concluded that it is a true mixture. Seeds are various colors as well as having pods of various shapes and textures. Beans can be used both in the green snap stage and dried for soup. Ornamental and colorful."
I had all beans that looked like the little brown ones to the left. I ended up with 4 different beans. The 3rd beans over a bit white looking in person.
Anyone have the same results? Or did you get different results?
The only pic on the internet I could find was the one on the link, and it does look like they got the 3rd bean over also.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog with photo (3rd one down)

Comments (21)

• hementia8
    10 years ago

This has been my third year growing this mix and this year I only found two dif. types
    One all black and another simular to the 3rd one you have shown
    Last year I had some simular to your first and last with dark brown being prominent
    The first year I had a few white beans
    I believe that they are not a true mix and can be segregated in time
    Charlie

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

The color combinations are consistent with the colors I get out of my tricolor beans. Black, brown, and white. Since yours are white speckled, and pinkish brown speckled, I'll speculate that they are a mix with the tricolor gene plus a gene for speckling and for pink color.

You should be able to segregate out at least 5 pure breeding lines from those seed. The white speckled may be the hardest to stabilize. By the way, I suspect that the tricolor gene is actually a transposon aka a jumping gene, can't prove this though.

I spoke with Glenn about these beans last week. He did as he said, threw his hands up and decided to sell them as a mix. Have Fun With Them!

DarJones

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Guys!
    I really would love to get the white specked one to be true. I think it is neat looking. The dark blue bean though makes green pods with a pretty purple overlay so those would me nice too...
    Remy

• hementia8
    10 years ago

I would like to add that I only planted the speckled and in return got the black and the speckled small beans
    None of the pods exceeded 4" ,most were 3"
    All were green podded
    I too like the speckled seeds best
    Charlie

This post was edited by hementia8 on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 10:42

• tormato
    10 years ago

I'll have to look through my collection to see what Tennessee Greasy produced, a few years ago. I know it wasn't the range of colors that were planted. No blacks, whites, or third in the photo, for sure.

Gary

• drloyd
    10 years ago

Hmm. Well, I planted a mix of sizes shapes and colors. The result was a few seeds dark enough to be called black. Quite a few dark chocolate #2 and milk chocolate like #4. Very few that could be called off white like #3. Very few were light tan with brown mottling like #1. The majority were light tan but with dark brown or almost black streaks like a mini version of Jembo Polish which I have never grown.

The pods were from 2 inches to 6 inches long and 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch or more in diameter. - Dick

• tormato
    10 years ago

#2 was the only definite color for me. I'll trial this in 2014 to see what happens.

Also, "maybe" #1, but this may have been Ohio Cutshort climbing one teepee over.

No other colors

Gary

• hementia8
    9 years ago

These came from a selection of the white speckled and few black ones showes up
    Note the horizonal stripes on the pods of the white speckled ones
    I did not notice such markings on the pods of the black ones
    This is the first time I noticed these markings and the only time I have seen it in a pole bean
    However I have seen it in a few cow pea var.
    Charlie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

What color are the pods supposed to be? The ones I'm growing this year are flushed purple.

Annette

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've seen that, speckled, and plain green pods. It is all over the place.

9 years ago

Thanks Remy, I only planted 6 and probably all with the same colored seedcoat (the ones I had the most of). Most of the beans are this color with the exception of a couple of completely dry pods I found, these were speckled/streaked and the seed is speckled black.

I thought they had snuck in from the Mrs Fortune's pole planted next to them, mystery solved. I had forgotten how mixed up these guys are LOL. Anyhow they seem to like the growing conditions here in the PNW.

Annette

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did you plant speckled seed or solid color seed?
    I planted different colors separately. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get from each color I planted.

9 years ago

Solid colored, not the golden brown or the darker greyish in the picture, the other brown one :). I haven't got any seed from the purple podded ones in the pic above, pods not dry enough to shell yet.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it will be interesting to see what happens. I started with on the brown speckles ones only and got that whole mix from them,

9 years ago

Well so far from the solid colored seed I planted (the far right in your picture above) most of the pods were purple and the seed from them is all the same color seen in the picture on the left. Only a couple of pods were a different color and much smaller, picture on the right. Next year I'll plant the brown speckled ones on their own and a few from the purple podded I grew this year on a separate pole and see what I get. They were just grown for seed this year, have to wait until next year for a taste.

• sea_kangaroo
    9 years ago

This is really interesting-- I have some of the same patterns as you guys, some different ones, and then I'm missing some of the ones I see in the photos here. I unfortunately didn't take any pod photos when I grew these but I don't remember any solid purple ones; I think they were all green or green with purple streaks. There was definitely a mix of purple and white flowers.

Here's some of what I got from Sand Hill:

And here's one each of all the patterns I got out:

(one or two of those are duplicate patterns though, since they're just reverses)

The pinto bean-like patterns predominated, with about 1/3 of my harvest the black specks on tan, 1/3 the brown specks on tan, 1/6 solid brown, and 1/6 everything else.

Are you guys getting multiple different patterns on one plant, or is it one per?

9 years ago

So far it's been one per. I only grew a few around a pole and those for seed. I'll grow more next year, this time round we'll actually get to eat some :). Next year I'll plant one with a different seed coat, see what it produces.

Annette

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I have gotten small black speckled beans and large black speckled, and brown beans her at home. Unfortunately, at the farm there was a disaster two weeks ago. The deer got in and ate all my beans well 99.99%. Just horrible. Annette, there were a few dry Aunt Vi bean pods, and maybe a few more of those will be found, but all in all a disaster :(
    Anyway, I'm glad I got the speckled beans as they are cool looking. I'll grow them again next year.
    Remy

9 years ago

Remy, damn deer, check your email.

Annette

9 years ago

I just shelled these a couple of days ago, just one short pod, it was green streaked purple before it dried these are the seed it produced. This bean fascinates me, it's such a surprise package when you shell them :).
    Annette

• sea_kangaroo
    9 years ago

That's a nice one! Lovely sort of blue-grey background.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer