Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What bean is this?

Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 19:52

This may be a long shot, but I'll ask it anyway.

This bean was found growing in a garden near Boone, NC. It is a pole bean. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What bean is this?

Looks like a runner bean, probably Scarlet Runner or something similar. The location is a bit surprising, though, since runner beans tend to set pods poorly in warmer climates. Until pods set, the vines will bloom all Summer, and their red flowers are attractive. Were there flowers visible when the bean was picked?

Runner beans even have trouble setting pods in my Wisconsin summers, until the heat drops to the lower 70's for a couple days. The long, frost-less Fall we've had up here has produced a bumper crop of pods... with frost finally coming tonight, I picked the vines bare, and got a bucket full.

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 10:36

Thanks for the info, zeedman. I can tell you that Boone has a climate that is far cooler and less humid than the rest of the southeast US because of its location in the Appalachian Mtns. It's winters are long and cold, too.

o

I'm curious about the choice of coin for scale. Has NC adopted the Euro ;-)?

Also interested in the statement 'Until pods set, the vines will bloom all Summer...' That is a real contrast to their behaviour here. They set pods immediately they start blooming in our cool climate and if you don't pick them they stop producing.

o

Flora, runners blooming for most of the summer is fairly common here, with the brief springs & hot summers of an inland continental climate. If we have a cool summer, or at least a week-long cool spell, then the vines might set enough pods to shorten the blooming period.

That was not the case this year. Other than a one-day departure into the low 70's (which allowed a few pods to set) blossoms dropped until September - and the vines bloomed until frost. The pods I get here are not the beautiful long pods you get in a maritime climate, either... they are usually short, with only 2-3 seeds. Only a fair dry-seed yield this year, but a lot of late set pods for snaps & shellies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here