Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you make an arching trellis?

Posted by thisisme az9b (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 20:34

I see them in pictures and have read about how to make them but there are always one or two measurements left out.

What I need to know.

How tall should the "T" posts be?

How far apart should the "T" posts be?

How long should the cattle panel material be?

What else do I need to buy or need to know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you make an arching trellis?

Another question I thought of....

Should the arch run east to west or north to south?

o

I prefer to run them east to west. I have run short hoops north to south and the south side plants got a little stunted. If you go east/west, not only do all the plants get sun, but you can grow plants underneath the hoop and they get sun too.

Cattle and hog panels are sold at 16 feet. The other measurements can be your choice. You don't even need T posts, I made a hog panel trellis by burying the ends in the ground, or you could butt them to stakes. You should also have wire or twine to tie them to the stakes or posts.

o
Correction

The NORTH side plants got a little stunted.

o

Thanks happyday. After your post I had to think about this a little more. For most of our summer months sun up is around 5:30 and the sun crosses the sky north of us. Because of this I would think the arch should run north to south. That way one side would get morning sun and the other would get afternoon sun. If I run it east to west the south side will not get any direct sun. I plant trees east to west but I think this should run north to south.

I have a bad back and neck and I'm going to have to build this alone. Knowing at what distance to place the ends of the cattle panel so that the peak of the arch would be 6' 3" to 6' 8" would be helpful if anybody knows. For me it sure would be a pain to have to hold down both ends and measure the center at the same time. I can think of several ways to do it if I have to. However it would be faster and possibly save me a lot of physical pain if I knew the distance to start with.

o

Which hemisphere do you live in? Are you saying that your sun rises in the north and sets in the south?

o

Same hemisphere but a lot further south than you. I live in Arizona. Right now the sun is south of us. However during the summer months the sun rises east north east and sets west north west. It crosses the sky north of us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here