Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

yellow pole wax beans...?

vieja_gw
12 years ago

I prefer to grow the pole beans as harder to get down to pick from the bush beans anymore! Does anyone have or have grown any yellow pole wax beans? I grow the pole green beans in 5 ft. cages like the ones I use for growing tomatoes & would like to also grow some pole yellow beans the same way! I asked a friend if she liked string beans & she said 'oh yes, Mom grew them at home' so I gave her a batch. Later I asked if she liked them & she said 'they were OK, but rather 'stringy' after cooking & eating them'! I asked if she knew why they were called'string' beans ... & needed to string them before cooking?!

Also is there nitrogen left in the pea & bean plants when I tear them down in the fall & any good to chop up & bury them as compost? I just dug up nearly 5 lbs. of large potatoes that grew from the peelings that I bury in the garden all year ... also coffee grounds & egg shells along with all of our fall leaves get buried.

Comments (9)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

I am not fomd of wax beans, but there are several choices. some string, some stringless. 'Gold of Bacau' (Roma type),'Kentucky Wonder Wax' (has strings),Neckargold. Sandhill Preservation, Vermont Bean etc vends them.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not so much looking for the stringless varieties but rather a climbing/pole vsriety of yellow wax bean. I used to get the Vermont Bean catalog but not for a long time so will research that place... thanks!

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

A new yellow bean for me this year is a Romano type - very good (and I love wax beans). It's Fagiolo (Meravigila di Venezia). They were excellent! And grow very nicely with the Rattlesnakes and other pole beans. The plants didn't like the high heat of summer here - I planted in May - they sort of hung in there until late August when they took off. Some that I planted in August are bearing heavily now.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

concur: Fagiolo/Meravigila di Venezia/Marvel of Venice is another possibily similar to Gold of Bacau. Flat podded Roma type. Available from Seeds of Italy, Berton seeds,Lake Valley Seeds.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmerdill: I planted the Kentucky Wonder pole green beans & also some Kentucky Wonder pole ?yellow bean seeds but all I got were the green pole beans .. nary a yellow one in the bunch! I grew some yellow wax bush beans one year that were delicious but wanted a pole variety for ease of picking. I string, cut & blanch the beans & freeze them in large baggies enough for a meal for the two of us .... so nice to eat & remember the past summer's harvest! I shall try looking up the Vermont Bean catalog & see what they have.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Kentucky Wonder Wax is the most popular yellow pole bean. If you got germination,it may be a heat problem. Neckagold is a newer European round podded variety. If you would like to try a flat pooded Italian style wax bean, Marvel of Venice or Gold of Bacau Gourmet Seeds Int has both Neckargold and Marvel of Venice. http://www.gourmetseed.com/product/PB31/Pole-Bean-Neckargold-ORGANIC.html
    Sandhill Preservation has Neckargold, Kentucky Wonder Wax. Slow response time but excellent prices. http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/bean.html
    Gold of Bacau, Fedco http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/search.php?item=283&listname=Bean&page=1 Heirloom Seeds http://www.heirloomseeds.com/beans.htm

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmerdill: Good, I will try ordering the Ky. Wonder yellow wax pole beans for next season! The ? yellow pole Ky. Wonder I planted this year (in a separate cage x the Ky. Wonder green poles)germinated & grew fine... just had green-not yellow- beans!

Now, is there any benefit to composting the green vines left of the beans? I guess I might get some of the beans left on the vines to germinate next seaon & confuse things though! Do the bean vines (& peas) supply any nitrogen when ground up? With our original caliche/clay (good for making pottery!)soil I am obsessive about composting anything I can to improve it & so far it has done a good job over the years: today I spaded up the entire garden & the soil has become dark & loaded with earthworms (oh yes... a few of those darn cutworms that soon saw the bottom of my shoe!). Would the paper x the shredder add anything good to the soil? I usually save a bag full for starting the fireplace.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

I incorporate everything I do not eat or give a way back into the soil. I rarely compost, but use the traditional plow down. All vegetation is helpful, bean pea vines probably do supply any more nitrogen than other green plants. The major nitrogen provision comes from the nodules on the roots. Paper is slow to decompose, but is roughly equivalent to decomposed wood when completely composted. I occasionally use it as mulch when I run short of leaves and grass clippings.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you 'farmerdill'! I also do not 'compost' as such (here in our arid climate I didn't have much success when I did try it)but also just dig everything in the soil as it accumulates. Good to hear about the paper shreddings & kitchen scraps ... I can't knowingly toss them away if I can bury them in the garden. Problem sometimes is that the darn scraps grow in the garden again: I have nice large potatoes growing every Fall from plants that grew from the peelings I buried ... my 'second harvest' I call them!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville