Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worchester beans?

Posted by rosieo 7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 21:19

A very nice gentleman at our farmers market had some unique beans I've never seen before. The pods were long and fat, with vivid pink/red streaky colors. They shelled out easily, and the beans were large and brightly colored the same as the pod. They made a good tasting pot of beans with a creamy bean liquor. The beans were big and the shelling went quick, so it didn't take long to shell enough for dinner.

The next week I went back and begged him for some seeds and now I have them. He told me they were very old and not sold commercially anymore. I couldn't find anything by googling them. On the bag he wrote Wochester Shelly. Anybody ever heard of Wochester or Worchester beans? Or is there a better way it should be spelled? We're in Boone NC, if that might help anybody identify it.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worchester beans?

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 9:35

In the past SSE has had listings for a Lima bean called Worchester Indian Red Pole: "Deep reddish purple or maroon bean; about the midway size between Fordhook Baby Lima and the large varieties., Reputed to come from Virginia but previous origin uncertain; a few Native American tribes had lima bean varieties ultimately obtained via Mexico."

Nothing under Wochester.

o

Thank you drloyd. I found those in several seed catalogs, as well as on dave's, but they're a lima. According to their description they have a lima shaped pod with 2 beans per pod. Mine have a long round colorful pod with 6 or more round beans in them. But thank you for trying. Next year I'll get some photos of them, maybe that will help me identify them. Thanks again.

o

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 11:19

Perhaps one of us will recognize them under another name. Dick

o

I would guess they are a type of October bean, you can do a search for Oct bean and find lots of info. They are used in the fresh shelly stage or dry stage and are usually planted in July for Oct harvest. These beans will grow well in heat but only produce in cool nights which is why they are grown for a fall crop and called Oct beans. Don't confuse these with Fall beans which are a different shaped bean. Most oct beans look like cranberry beans or pinto beans. Hope this helps Rodger
PS by chance were you in Mineral Va. a couple of weeks ago for the SSE regional meet.?

o

The only Worcester bean I am familiar with has a light yellow kidney shaped bean with no markings, bush plant with small runners.

Your bean sounds like so many horticultural beans that were grown by various Native American groups, many referred to as October beans, used as a fresh shell or dry bean. Such as Mohawk Bush, Six Nations, Speckled Algonquin, Seneca Stripe, etc.

They are all great soup beans, enjoy them.

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here