Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

Unknown Dry Bean

soilent_green
13 years ago

I lost track of the name of this dry bean variety.

Any help in identification would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Contact Tom

Comments (7)

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

Could it be Maria Amazilitei's Pole bean? Bottom left. A bean from Romania. Yellow wax or dry bean. Shaped into C's.

Don

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should clarify: Compact bush bean; Straight to slightly arced medium green 6" pods.
    Don - the colors do look similar, don't they.
    This may be a cross. I've had it since at least 2000 (bought some dry bean varieties in '94 from Seeds of Change) but I simply do not remember buying this seed variety. I managed to intentionally cross this with another to get a purple variety, which I would like to name based on the original (if it has a name).
    Anyone out there have a Seeds of Change catalog from the early 90's? Also will see if they can maybe identify.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Purples:

which came from

Maroons:

• happyday
    13 years ago

They look like Mother Stallord, which apparently can be red, purple or black, but pictures show them as a bit shorter bean. Spanish Tolosana is a longer kidney bean, but has a yellowish background color.

Nice looking bean, hope you find the name for it.

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mother Stallard sure is a pretty pole bean, sure would like to acquire that variety.

Spanish Tolosana is very close. I checked some year old seed - colors had changed just a little but still didn't quite match Tolosana. I also have never heard of that variety before. I am hoping bells will go off if/when I here a variety name mentioned by someone.

Thanks,
    Tom

• deanriowa
    13 years ago

I grow a dry bush bean, Dr Wyches Russian this year , which look pretty close.

Dean

• soilent_green
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input Dean.

I'll be darned if I can find any info on the internet regarding Dean's Dr. Wyche's Russian Bean. Can you give me a lead or two? Name doesn't sound familiar but does look similar.

I may be going overboard with this bean thing, but it has been driving me crazy. I have spent countless hours looking for this bean in online bean seed databases and online bean seed companies. I hate not knowing what I am growing.

Another monkey wrench - I forgot about another similar strain that I have but didn't plant this year. It is maroon with red mottling. Again similar to Spanish Tolosana but I don't think is the same.

Third Strain:

Comparing the three:

All images can be seen better on my Flickr page: Tom's Flickr Page. Just click that link then click on the image you want to see larger.

Regarding the purples: I started out with 5 beans from 1 pod four years ago. Built that up to around 250 this year. Approx. 10% of the beans keep coming out solid tan. Any ideas why?
    Tom

• deanriowa
    13 years ago

Here is what SSE yearbook says about them:

• Long slender pods resemble turtle beans in form, 6-7 beans/pod, elongated seed, dark red with pale streaks, pretty
    • Very good yield, stands wet roots very well, maroon and beige seeds, Dr. Wyche collected these in Russia and then smuggled them out in his shoe

Info found about Dr Wyches:

• .my father was Dr. John Wyche and he passed away in 1985. My brother and I were privy to all the enthusiasm he would love to share with the gardening...which he took up when he semi retireed from dentistry. He mailed and shared seeds everywhere and truly enjoyed this hobby...he was a very "bigger than life" man; hunted and fished all over the world, owned a multitude of businesses which included part owner of a circus; we actually traveled briefly with them one summer. When he retired (somewhat!!) he took up gardening and at his death had this seed room with all sorts of seeds in little packages and compartments...we had to wear masks and go in briefly because difficult to breathe all the pollen and particles!!! He was very colorful, entertaining, and much loved in the community...and yes, we are Cherokee and I actually work for one of the tribal clinics of the five civilized tribes. Even some notorious history: my grandfather (daddy's dad) had an uncle who was married to the infamous Belle Starr (bank robber and outlaw)....of course, he was an outlaw too and was shot!! My grandfather ran whiskey, lived to be around a hundred and gardened up into his eighties. Sadly enough, I do not garden....love working and traveling instead at this point in my life. I know recently the long time master gardener in a neighboring community made mention of my dad and his gardening...if you are interested I could perhaps get in touch with her and she might have info as to the heirloom gardening tribally, etc. Good luck and enjoy!! Joan Wyche Eighmy

Hope that helps.

Dean

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner