Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blauhilde (pole)

Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 22:42

Just wanted to share my good experience with growing Blauhilde pole bean this summer.

It's now one of my favorite pole beans for snaps, and now (late in the season) for pods with shellies. It has good assertive beany flavor, is productive, is easy to grow, is relatively early, and did not get diseased or attacked by insects (slugs seemed to prefer Neckargold seedlings over Blauhilde seedlings).

However, regarding insects, for some unknown reason, there were very, very few insects around this year; very few pollinators, and very few pests. It is very disconcerting not to see the usual number of beneficials around, including bumblebees, hover flies, wasps.

Blauhilde's dark-purple pods are long, round, and easy to spot in the foliage. A few plants produced flat-podded beans. Stems are dark purple, leaves has purple veins.

The pods are delicious raw or cooked (they turn green during cooking).

(Source: Gourmet Seeds.)

After growing it and being very satisfied, I think Blauhilde merits a wider audience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blauhilde (pole)

I planted 7-8 Blauhilde seeds this year that I received from a trade. I assume the seeds where old or my local squirrels ate them as only one plant survived.

The plant did very well, produced maybe 10-15 beans plus and had a nice beany flavor. I will not be growing them next year, but I definitely will grow them again.

Dean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here