Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tepary Beans

Posted by jimster z7a MA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 11, 08 at 23:11

Have you grown or eaten tepary beans? (Phaseolus acutifolius)

I have seldom seen them mentioned, although seeds are available for a couple of varieties I believe. Their claim to fame is their ability to grow in dry conditions, such as the desert South West. I know nothing about their eating quality.

Despite my location very far from the South West, tepary beans are kind of interesting to me because of the sandy, droughty soil here. I wonder if they would be well suited.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Tepary Beans

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tepary Beans

Jim, I have not (yet) grown them, but I had a chance to observe them on Heritage Farm (SSE) in September. When I first saw them, I didn't know what they were; the plants were small-leaved & wispy, and looked like wild beans. They sprawled very close to the ground; I don't know if they would climb if given support. The pods are tiny, 2-3 inches long, and borne abundantly.

The cultivar I observed was a white-seed variety (can't remember the name) labeled as "virus-free". Apparently, most tepary beans are infected with bean mosaic virus, which is the reason that I have hesitated to grow them. If you intend to grow teparies, you might want to wait for a virus-free variety. Can't help you with a source yet, but I'll keep looking.

o

I came across a source for LOTS of tepary beans. Becky mentioned it in her blog, Becky and the Beanstock.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Seeds/SEARCH

o

Jim,

Nice source for Tepary beans (Phaseolus acutifolius). I updated the link below.

Did you ever give them a try in your neck of the woods?

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Seeds/SEARCH link

o

I haven't grown them yet. Now that I've been reminded, I may try them this year.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here