Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

More on Woods Mountain Crazy Beans

Macmex
9 years ago

Hey folks,

I've had a great season with Woods Mountain Crazy Beans. Been working on gathering more historical information on them as well as pictures. The other day I posted a short article on the Green Country Seed Savers website. Mawma showed up and promised to provide any more information that she and her family can scrounge up. So, drop in and take a gander!

George
Tahlequah

Here is a link that might be useful: Woods Mountain Crazy Bean thread

Comments (4)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Great article George, I also grew them again this year at the 'Bean Boutique' :). Although it was just a small patch we had about a dozen meals from them and I harvested a lot of seed. I grow mostly pole beans because of the limited space I have but 'Woods Mountain Crazy Beans' are here to stay.
    You can't tell by this picture but these plants are absolutely loaded with beans, part the leaves and there they are. This year most of my seed looks like the ones in this picture but have had several variations in color in the past, I had both plain and striped pods in my little patch this year. Not only are these outstanding producers they are really a nice tasting bean and it grows well in our PNW climate. Thanks again Mawma for sharing your family heirloom with me, everyone I have given seed to has been extremely happy with them, it's a winner in my books.
    Annette

• robert567
    last month
    last modified: last month

Going to try these. Found at BountyHunterSeeds.com

Any more info? Seem like a very short indeterminate. Can be picked as a full pod string bean and still be tender?

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    last month

When I first tried to answer this post, it was deleted when I hit 'submit'. Not the first time GW has done this, sometimes with longer & more detailed posts than this. :-(

George's link in the the original post is still active, and informative.

There is also the link from the original source (who supplied seed to George, myself and others) which also has a lot of good info, including photos:

the original Woods Mountain Crazy Bean thread

I attempted to grown WMCB last year to renew my seed, but the entire crop was suddenly destroyed by wilt just as the pods were filling out. I plan to try it again this year in a different location, hopefully with better results. It is a highly productive, heat resistant bush bean... but due to its long(er) DTM & some sensitivity to cool temperatures, it is temperamental & only marginally adapted to my climate.

• Macmex
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Zeedman! Been meaning to get back here. I think you nailed it. Sandhill Preservation Center, in IA has reported modest results with Woods Mountain Crazy Bean. In our hotter summer climate, it's a superstar.

One key I've found is that the pods do not protect the seeds from rains and moisture during the dry down stage (for seed). However, since I pick these beans as full beans, and they are super prolific, I frequently find pods which are turning yellow on the plant. I pick them, and though I could cook and eat them, I set them on a tray to finish drying down. This is an ongoing process starting in late June and going on until frost. This is how I manage to get seed. If I left the plants to dry down like other beans, I'd only get a very small amount of seeds due to spoilage.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting