Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Video if Bill Best about Heirloom Beans and Tomatoes

remy_gw
12 years ago

Click on the link to see a video of Bill Best of the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center in Berea, KY.

Saving Seeds

Remy

Comments (9)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Really good video! Thanks!

• drloyd
    12 years ago

Great video. Thank you.

It looks like he is using plastic twine. I may try that on a trellis or two next year.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Thanks Remy, I enjoyed the video.

Annette

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad everyone is enjoying the video. He was an interesting man to meet.

DrLloyd,
    I saw all the twine in his fields. I didn't pay attention to the material, just the whole overall look. I found it interesting since I never saw beans grown that way.

It was also nice to see weeds and flowers growing near the beans, made me feel better about my less than perfect spots :)
    Remy

• happyday
    12 years ago

Remy, thanks for the excellent video and the photos too!

• Donna
    12 years ago

What a lovely man. May his tribe increase, and may I be a member.

• mike3
    12 years ago

I asked Bill several years ago how he strung his beans. This is what he said (I orgianlly asked him if it was best to use individual poles):

A better technique is to create a trellis out of larger poles, wire, and strings. We raise our beans on plastic covered raised beds with drip irrigation being furnished under the plastic. I put a six to eight inch post in the row every eighteen feet with electric fence wire strung tightly over the posts and anchored firmly on each end. I then put a tight string on the bottom of the posts and weave a trellis between the string and the overhead wire. If you don't have many beans to do, this can be done one string at a time. I use tomato twine but you can also use cotton twine if it is strong enough. If you are growing a lot of beans, you can put four rolls of twine on a dowel rod and string with four rolls at once. You can put a piece of conduit pipe in the middle where your hand would be and the ends will also have to be secure. The trellis method is much more effective than the pole method in my opinion.
    I make my rows 7 feet wide in order to get my small tractor between them. I plant three seeds eighteen inches apart and put two rows on each raised bed but only one trellis. Both rows use the same trellis. If you have a small garden, the pole method might work best for you.

Mike

• happyday
    12 years ago

When making trellis out of tomato twine, does it last more than one year or have to be redone every year?

Would concrete reinforcing wire get too hot for vines in the South?

• drloyd
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike.

So "tomato twine" is available in jute or plastic. Jute is generally tan or green. The twine in the video is white. I think he is using plastic twine.

Jute twine is good for just one season and it is handy because it can be cut off the trellis and the vines can be composted twine and all.

Plastic twine should last a couple years at least.

Dick

Sponsored