Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Growing Pole Beans, Spacing and Support

I'm setting up the bed to grow pole beans next season. Just want to get some info before I set up things.

The space I have available is at the very bed of a large garden. I can get it to up to 8' wide and up to 20' long. I'm open to any ideas about support. But I'm thinking about using (green) iron posts since this is simple and maybe cost effective.

1. First, how many pole beans should I plant for one family? I do not want to have so many extras, to give away, or to freeze.
2. How much space should I allocate for the pole beans? Depending on the support, I think I can grow the beans single row or double rows. If single row, I should have space to grow other things, like bush beans, or okra, etc.
3. Still need ideas about bean support.

Comments (13)

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Redsun, just out of interest, what town do you live in? I grew up in Colts Neck and lived 2001-2005 in Jackson. I don't recall seeing them in NJ. But I bet cattle panels can be found. The typical size is 16'. I like to put three T posts, evenly spaced and hang a cattle panel about 5" above the ground, on the T posts. One 16' cattle panel should supply plenty of beans, possibly more than you want, if you don't intend to freeze or can any. One could cut a cattle panel in half and make two 8' trellises, But you could always plant a variety which also produces good dry beans and leave part of the panel unpicked. How many people are in your family?

Another option is to use bamboo poles. Don't use longer than 8 1/2" and set them at least 2' deep, to prevent them from falling over when under load. I have been pleased with the results putting bamboo poles in tripods and also as single supports.

Depending on the variety pole beans can get pretty rampant. So be sure to leave at least 3' space around your supports, so you can get in there to pick when the plants are large.

Jersey has a great climate for beans. As long as you choose a variety which bears over a long time, you should have beans from the beginning of your harvest until frost. Most varieties do come in with a "gusher," produce at high volume for at least 3 weeks, and then slow down in their production (without totally stopping). This is the case unless you leave any sizable amount of pods unpicked. Some varieties, when not picked, shut down production and dry up.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in greater Princeton area.

I like steel posts since they are sturdy, moveable and stronger. Long bamboo sticks are hard to find (for me) and they may deteriorate over time.

Last year, I used some left-over concrete wire (5' tall) for my cucumbers and the wires were not tall enough. So now I'm thinking of installing a post/wire/string type of trellis, single row, on the very back of my garden. The cukes will be there together. Since I have a very wide bed, I'll plant some tall plants, like Okra and Brussel sprouts, in front of the bean/cuke trellis.

This way, how should I space the pole beans and cucumbers? 2' apart?

I plan to move the trellis next year for crop rotation.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Will the cucumbers be allowed to run on the ground, or will they be trellised also?

George

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I grow the Asian type of long cucumbers. So they go up, never go to the ground.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

I would still recommend at least 3' between the cucumbers and beans. Seems like a lot of space at planting time. But I find that I am really pressed to fit between those rows when the plants are grown. Maybe someone else will also chime in and make a suggestion.

George

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually have a long 8'x80' to grow all the tall garden plants, from sunflower, sweet corns, to cucumbers, pole beans, Okra, Brussel sprout, and maybe peppers. I allocated 50' for sunflowers and corns. That may be too much.

For support, I'm thinking of using some soft netting, like fish net. This is strong, but still flexible to move to another location after the season. So, for trellis, some iron steel posts, metal wire at the very top. Then attach the net to the very top. I may have to add most posts if the plants are heavy.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

You'll probably have to add some kind of a top beam, across the posts, as netting will sag considerably. I went the netting route back around 1984 and was sorely disappointed. And it was not easy to reuse.

George

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No top beams, but some strong wires, just like the way folks grow berries or grape vines. Also, use landscape pins to nail the net to the soil at the bottom.

• keith100_gw
    9 years ago

Red Sun,
    I have had good luck with using the heavy t-post of 7.5 ft.
    I put them about two foot in the ground , and then with zip ties fasten galvanized 2" x4" weld fence in 5ft height to the t-posts . I space the t-post every 6 ft. (7 per 40 ft. row) and fasten the welded fence approximately 1 ft. from the ground. This puts the top at about 6 ft. high. My beans sure would go higher , but I don't like reaching that high to pick them. I space the rows 5 ft. apart and feel more would be better. Hope this helps.
    Keith

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Sounds like a good sturdy arrangement, not unlike my cattle panels.

George

• roper2008
    9 years ago

I have never tried cattle panels, but I think I really need to.
    Already have T post that I usually tie string to. Not a good
    system for me. I will check the tractor supply store this
    winter and see if they have some.

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Roper,
    Depending on where you live, I bet they do have them. Here in Tahlequah, Oklahoma Tractor Supply and a number of other places carry them. If yours doen't have them on hand, ask if you can order some. I've tried just about every method out there and consider the cattle panel to be the most efficient. Plus, a cattle panel will last for many years.

George

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Roper,
    Depending on where you live, I bet they do have them. Here in Tahlequah, Oklahoma Tractor Supply and a number of other places carry them. If yours doen't have them on hand, ask if you can order some. I've tried just about every method out there and consider the cattle panel to be the most efficient. Plus, a cattle panel will last for many years.

George