Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for "Selma Star"

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 10:41

Has anyone got this one squirrelled away, Seeds of Diversity has it listed as "apparently extinct" I did find it listed on a german website but didn't get an answer back when I contacted them.
If by any chance it's listed in the 2013 Seed Savers Exchange directory would someone let me know, I grew a few of it's sister seedling "Selma Zebra" this year but have to grow it again before I'll have enough to share.

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for "Selma Star"

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 15:15

Annette, SSE sometimes lists/offers seeds themselves when no one else does. They listed it up to 2009.

A grower in Kansas got it from SSE and listed it in 2012 but it does not appear in the online 2013 Yearbook so far. That grower does not have any listings at all for 2013 yet. Perhaps some of the lists that were mailed to SSE have not made into the Yearbook yet. As I recall, the final version comes out in February. - Dick

o

Thanks Dick, I'll keep looking.

Annette

o

Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 10:40

Selma Star has been offered in the SSE Yearbook by various growers most years since 1990. It is described as heavy yields, excellent table quality, fine canner or freezer, does really well in the north, about the earliest pole snap, very choice green stringless pod snap...

This sounds like a really good early pole snap for our climate.

No sign of the 2012 grower yet and the previous growers are not in the 2012 yearbook at all.

Park Seed is listed a source by one grower in the early 1990s but the do not have it now.

SSE offered it themselves most years from 2000-2009 and they listed their source as a grower with the SSE member code of IL CR R. That means the source was in Illinois and their last name starts with Cr and their first name starts with R. This is almost certainly Russ Crow. I do not see it on his current list.

o

Here's hoping someone still has it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed :). Here's a picture of it's sister seedling Selma Zebra.

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 11:56

o

Sorry about the big picture, while messing around trying to make it smaller, I hit the wrong button uurrrggghhhh.

Update....thanks to our new edit feature I was able to go back and resize my picture :).

Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 12:00

o

Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 21:25

Selma Star is now listed for 2013 in the SSE Yearbook. I plan to order us some. The way you do things, do you want one seed or two? :) - Dick

o

One would be just fine, you just made my day :).

Annette

o

....on second thought two might be better, good to have a backup just in case :).

Annette

o

Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 9:32

Are there any problems importing seeds from the USA similar to our limitations importing seeds from other countries? Since this variety is rather rare, perhaps I should send some in two separate packages just in case. - Dick

o

Dick so far there hasn't been a problem, it should be fine.

Annette

o

Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 8:59

Annette, Selma Star may be a star in warm places like Selma but the seedlings here are tiny and very slow growing. They are by far the smallest plants in the bean garden and they do not look like they ever plan to climb.

Do you have blossoms on yours yet?

o

Dick, the ones that germinated are not very strong and aren't even climbing yet. Unfortunately right now I'm dealing with some health issues so this year might be bust for me :(.

Annette

o

Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 22:06

Hope the health concern resolves quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here