Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scarlet runners still on vine

Posted by noinwi z3/4 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 13:25

I have a question about my SRBs that are still on the vines. I've been picking the browned pods for next year's seed, but there are still quite a few fat green pods hanging on even though the vines are dying. Do I still wait until they're brown, or can I pick them and let them mature inside? The vines are next to the building, so they haven't had a hard freeze yet(the weather's been unusually mild), but it's going to happen before too long. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scarlet runners still on vine

Since no one has answered I'll give you my best guess. I have recently had a bunch of runner beans sprout in the compost heap from beans I threw on there. They were overgrown and tough, so no good for eating, but they were still green. Therefore I think your over mature green beans would probably grow even if you picked them before they go brown and dry.

o

I would definitely strip the vines before heavy frost. Otherwise, before picking,I try to wait until the pod is thinning, I feel it near the stem and see if it still feels fleshy or not. I have enough for seed so I'm eating them as shellies. But I agree, if the seeds are mature size they are likely to dry fine for growing, I let the pods dry somewhat indoors before shelling. The fleshy podded seeds I've picked sometimes look a little immature.

o

Thank you both. I picked them all since we had temps in the 20s predicted. Some of the pods were indeed thinning and I shelled the beans. They looked mature but weren't as glossy as the fully mature ones. I set them in a shallow bowl to finish drying. The thicker green pods I just set in a basket to see if they will mature and dry. If not, I can toss them as I have plenty of seed for next year already.

o

They will dry faster in the bowl if you put a small fan on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here