Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhelynn_gw

Help with id'ing this large purple podded bean?

rhelynn
11 years ago

This bean climbs about 6 feet tall - probably would have grown higher if I had supported it further. It produced a ton of large purple and green striped pods, which, when dried bore pinto-looking beans with black markings and a slight 'rosy' blush over white. I will go further to say they lost the purple color when boiled, and the shelly beans are very much like a pinto. Any ideas?

The reason is I have lost track - what I thought was planted here 'tennessee greasy beans' are definitely not these. I can't remember planting anything else there. The original beans planted there were small and dark brown - so I think I've got an interloper?

~Marie in TN

Comments (6)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I've not grown this one myself but it does look like pictures I've seen of it. According to Sandhill Preservation it's a mix. Scroll down the list to "Tennessee Greasy" for a description, this might explain the differences you're seeing in your beans.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Greasy

• rhelynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm afraid some of those internet pictures of Tennessee Greasy beans out there might be mine - and mislabelled. I'm mostly convinced that this is not the same bean I planted there... it might well be a greasy bean, or something that wandered from another part of the garden. I can say this for certain - it is prolific and loves the soil here.

I planted:
    Dragon's Tongue/Lingerie (which were a yellow wax of nowhere near this size)
    Jeminez ((what about this one? descriptions vary widely and it was planted on the other side of the garden but well...)
    Black Shackamaxon
    Bosnian pole bean (orange with tiger stripes and green pods)
    Kenearly yellow eye
    Mayflower
    Kentucky wonder brown seeded
    Pinto beans
    Painted pony (which died off producing one seed)
    the brown 'Tennessee Greasy beans'
    and several varieties of cowpeas that can be ruled out immediately.

I'm really curious on this one and have a lot of seed for next year, so want to name it properly.

~Marie in TN

Here is a link that might be useful:

• remy_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Marie,
    That is a neat bean you're got there.
    It is not Jeminez. Jeminez grows huge. The pods are really big. they start off green and turn red as they mature.
    Now, I've gone back and re-read everything and see you planted brown beans. If you are correct, you may have crossed seed.
    You may want to regrow next year to see what you get.
    Remy

• drloyd
    11 years ago

Marie,
    The pods look very much like New Hampshire, green and dark purple. The shellies of New Hampshire were more cream with purple streaks and splotches and up to 7/8 inch long. They do dry to more of a brown color.

I also grew Chabarowsk that was very similar but a bit later and the shellies were a slightly smaller. - Dick

• rhelynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Chabarowsk is the closest I've seen yet - although the pods of this one were much more dark purple... variations can occurr? Looking up that bean I found other types I never would have, thanks Dick!

I have pulled the rest of the plant for seed and have it hung up in the garage. The one thing I don't see that Chabarowsk has is 'bicolor' genes.. all of the beans are the same color, no reverses (yet).

The streaks on these beans are definitely black, over a white background blushed with rose. I should have put a quarter in the picture for scale but this other picture shows a pod and two shellies (the small red one is a dixie butterpea thrown in there for scale) in my hands. They are some of the largest beans I've ever grown.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• drloyd
    11 years ago

The New Hampshire and Chabarowsk pods look identical and very much like your photo above, almost black from a distance.

Chabarowsk had a few pods that were solid dark purple.

New Hampshire was a bit earlier and the shellies were a bit larger so I am planning for a row of them next summer.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?