Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

My Italian Beans (Auntie VI) Part 2

I know I'm obsessed LOL, I've been growing this bean for over 40 years (I now think this seed came from northern Italy via an immigrant in 1911). I have never paid much attention to the color pattern on the seed coat, some are more spotted, some have more swirls and some are almost solid in color. I have always saved a few seed from all of the plants grown and just tossed them in the same container.

Since things are starting to slow down on the forum I'd thought I'd slip this in :). This year I took some of the solid colored seed and grew them separately in a half barrel. When I saw the color of this seed when shelling it looked a little different to what I was used to. I read somewhere weather can have something to do with the seed color looking a little different, I don't know. I found the link below showing some of the landraces from Italy the variety 'Billo' looks very much like the ones I grew separately from my main crop. This one has violet spots and swirls as to the reddish color I'm used to seeing on my saved seed. Here's a picture of seed I grew separately and a picture of a few seeds from my main crop. I thought those of you that I given seed to might be interested. I think I will keep growing the violet colored seed separately and see what happens.

Seed grown separately

{{gwi:1035693}}

Main crop

{{gwi:1035694}}
Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Landraces of Common Beans

Comments (7)

• happyday
    13 years ago

Annette, was the soil the same in both plantings? It looks like pink and blue hydrangeas.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy, both were grown in Sunshine mix #4 with some Sea Soil(composted fish and forest fines) dug in. It's a puzzle.

• drloyd
    13 years ago

Annette, in the warm summer of 2009 a lot of my borlotto stregonta shellies were mostly the color of dark chocolate instead of the usual pinto color. In other words, the colors were reversed. (Alas, they still tasted like frijoles.) So I saved the seed separately and called them borlotto chocolate. This summer I planted a separate trellis of them right beside the trellis of regular stregonta.

Almost all the beans from both trellises came out the usual pinto color with maybe half a dozen seeds of the chocolate version. In this case it seems to be environmental. - Dick

Original Author
    13 years ago

Dick you just might have nailed it, if they had mutated most likely there would have been just a few changing color, not all of them.

I grew these beans within 10 feet of each other isolated from the rest of my garden so there is not much chance of them crossing with anything else, the violet colored ones were grown in a half barrel up against the side of our house so would have been in a sightly warmer spot.

In all the time I've grown this bean I've never seen such a variation in color before they have always looked the same, reddish on beige. I'll almost be disappointed if they revert back to their original color, the spots and swirls were really pretty, electric violet when first shelled darkening some when completely dry. I should add the pods on both these plantings were identical no changes there.

This little area in my garden is quite protected and is where I grow beans I want to save the most seed from. Next year I was going to grow Tennessee Cutshorts here but think I'll grow these ones here again and see what they do.
    Annette

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

am- I will look for your part 1 post, but are these bush or pole beans, can you eat the pods or are they just for dried beans? They seem to resemble these beans-

Here is a link that might be useful: Bingo Italian pole

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hemnancy, they're pole beans the pods are not as flat as Uncle Steve's but the pod color is almost identical, maybe a bit more purple on Uncle Steve's. I've only eaten them as snap beans. The link below is from the first post on these beans.
    Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: My Italian Beans

• happyday
    13 years ago

Hemnancy, the Bingo bean is described as a big creamy green pod, borlotto type, looks like a big flat, what I call ribbon type. Annette's Italians are a darkish green pencil pod J curved pole bean.

Though the seed color pattern is similar, well spotted!

Sponsored