Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Lima Bean

Posted by theodosia 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 14:28

A dear friend and neighbor grew these beans and saved the seeds since some time before World War II. After his death, we were unable to find any of the seed he'd saved. Two years ago, I found two beans in a drawer. One of the two germinated and produced a crop. I replanted those seeds this year and got the crop that is pictured.

The varietal name is long since forgotten, but they look somewhat like pictures I've seen of Jackson Wonder. They done well here in zone 5 (northern Indiana) for many years. They are a bush bean.

Does anyone have any idea what these might be? Ultimately, I'm hoping to get them in a few more hands so they aren't in danger of dying out again, especially since George saved them diligently for those many years.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Lima Bean

There are so many kinds of beans but these look almost identical to the lima beans that I raised this year and they are Jackson Wonder. Some of the ones in the picture look like they have a little more yellow/gold color unless its the light.

Ellie

o
RE: Heirloom Lima Bean

They look very simular to Jackson Wonder to me
Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here