Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone grown Grady Bailly Greasy Cutshort beans?

Posted by ispahan 6a Chicago (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 14:36

Hi all,

I may be trading for some Grady Bailly Greasy Cutshort seeds in the near future. Has anyone grown this bean and, if so, can you tell me about flavor, production, temperature tolerance (heat and cold), etc.?

I noticed that Southern Exposure Seed Exchange sold it in their 2009 catalogue and described it as "Heirloom OP 80 days. Highly productive white-seeded greasy bean. Very tender, large seeds." It is also sold in the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture bean catalogue, where it is listed as coming from Polk County, North Carolina and being a good seller among greasy beans.

Just curious to see if anyone here has firsthand experience with this bean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone grown Grady Bailly Greasy Cutshort beans?

Sorry, I have't tried this one.
Did you receive my response, via e-mail, to your message, last week?

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Thanks, George. Just sent a reply to your e-mail. Sorry about the delay.

I think I should rephrase my question. I hope to be able to grow George's wonderful sounding Tennessee Cutshort beans next year. They sound like everything I am looking for in a pole bean: meaty, tender and widely adaptable.

That being said, if you had only limited growing space and can have only two pole beans, would a greasy bean like Grady Bailly be sufficiently different in taste and texture from Tennessee Cutshort to justify growing them? Or should I go for something completely different like a pole shelly?

I have grown Blue Lake bush beans for several years, but I tend not to like wimpy, slender snaps. Otherwise I would choose something like Fortex as my second pole bean. But I would rather grow something more interesting and maybe work toward preserving a heritage variety.

o

ispahan

I have grown this bean here in Central England. Did not expect a huge amount because the weather and climate are very different from Bill Best's, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It did exactly what it said it would do. Although quite a bit later than 80 days, this bean was not too late for us. Seedsaving was easy too.

We ate the pods when they were well filled, fairly mature and they were really good too. I can recommend this bean. It certainly coped fine with our colder climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here