Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Peas?

Posted by florida-belle SWFL - Zone 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 14:51

Forgive me if I'm using the wrong name, but has anyone had any luck growing sweet peas (yes, the vegetable) in zone 10? I'm in Port Charlotte (FL) and new to vegetable gardening. If they're difficult to grow in my zone, perhaps you could suggest some easy-to-grow vegetables for fall.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Peas?

Since sweet pea is normally asoociated with the ornamental Lathyrus odoratus which is toxic, I would prefer that you use the name English pea or garden pea. According to the University of Florida they should be planted in your area September -February. In this area of Georgia I plant late November - February with good results.
Pea Patch photo peapatch_zpsb70de6de.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: English peas in Florida

o

What area of Georgia are you in Farmerdill? I'm in 8b GA and I never seem to get my peas in on time. The Univ. of Fl. recommends January, but I'm ready to plant in December now. It gets too hot before they are finished in May.

o

Augusta. In th e photo above, the large blossoming plants were planted thansgiving, those just to right mid December, and the little ones to the right of onions February 1. All did exceedingl well this year.

o

I'm like zackey. I'm in 7b SC and I never seem to get my peas in on time either!

Fall planting doesn't work for me at all.

If I plant in late Feb. and the weather cooperates I get some. But it seems to go from too cold for germination and growth, then it gets too hot for making peas.

I had perfect weather for growing this spring, but it was too wet to get them planted! I have built a raised bed just for peas, for next year. I plan to sprout them before planting.

People that say that they don't like English peas have never ate them fresh from the garden! It is one of my favorites!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here