Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_forager

Groundnut (apios americana) Harvest 2009

wild_forager
14 years ago

Since many people probably do not know anything about groudnuts I thought I'd make a post (previous harvest post). I just harvested mine today. They ARE a legume, with edible pods/peas (though they rarely pollinate without the right insect) and edible tubers as well.

The tubers grow larger every year if you don't eat them.

Both of my plants were growing in 1.5/2 gallon pots (not sure of exact size). I could tell when I harvested them that this was a limitation as the center was empty and the tubers were in rings as the roots wrapped the pot, so next year they will be sharing a 20 gallon pot. I don't want to put them in the ground because they will never come out if I do.

As you can see in the images below there are two MOTHER tubers (as I call them). The first is on it's third year and the second one has been alive for two years. Strangely, the second plant put most of it's energy into the mother tuber and not into making additional tubers. I expect this is because it had less sun than the other, so I will be experimenting with different conditions next year. The pot that had more sun also had a smaller harvest, and put significant growth onto it's mother. Again, my guess is that this is because I went from full sun to only 2-4 hours of a sun a day. As you can see this plant does grow in those conditions but I expect a much bigger harvest next year with these in full sun.

Enjoy the pictures!

POT NUMBER 1

POT NUMBER 2

MOTHER TUBER 1

MOTHER TUBER 2

CLOSE UP OF NICE TUBER FROM POT 1

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals