Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insuk's Wang Kong question

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 17:04

I had three vines which produced a grand total of three beans in two pods. One of the beans was eaten by something and the two that are left are blue. They're not dried yet but I think they were mature. Not sure. Are they supposed to be blue?

We had a record hot summer and I think that's why they didn't do well. I'd like to try them again next summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insuk's Wang Kong question

The black ones are blue as shellies and the mauve ones are hot pink as shellies. If your blue beans are plump, not wrinkled, and if they dry down to black, there is a good chance they will be good to plant next year.

o

Thank you Happyday. I didn't get any hot pink ones. Maybe next time. I haven't had much experience growing beans. That's interesting about the colors.

o

There are three colors that I saw in IWK, pure white beans, mottled similar to Scarlet Runner, and pure black. They are more tolerant of heat that any other runner bean I've tried, but they do NOT like heat. You can grow them if planted extremely early, as in 2 weeks before last frost, and planted on the north side of a tall crop such as corn. This may not seem like much microclimate modification, but it gave me a huge crop of beans in North Alabama.

DarJones

o

Thank you DarJones - I will try more shade next time. I planted mine on the east side of a three foot tall retaining wall. I had a trellis so they could climb on up past the wall but they didn't want to go there. Too hot. The top of the vines died where they were in full sun.

o

If the wall was brick or concrete, maybe the heat from the wall was too much for them. Try planting them on a trellis in the garden next time.

o

Christie
If you happen to need more seeds let me know. I have plenty and can send you some.

Jim

o

Thank you for the offer Jim but I have some left overs and I think they should still be viable. I won't plant them in the same spot again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here