Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Lazy Wife Pole Beans

I was just given a few seeds of this pole bean. Does anyone know it's history, the seed is white, roundish or slightly oval in shape. Does it have another name? It's not the same as Lazy Housewife.

Annette

Comments (25)

• fusion_power
    9 years ago

I've seen references to 3 different beans all called Lazy Wife or Lazy Housewife. One of them is a greasy bean, one is a stringless white pole snap bean, and one is a stringless red bean originating in Germany. I show that I grew Lazy Wife in 2003 and was not impressed enough with it to re-grow since.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Here's some info from the Sample Seed Shop's description. I don't have personal experience with the bean.

Bean âÂÂLazy Wife Greasyâ bnLWG
    These are the fattest greasy pods IâÂÂve ever seen. The bean seeds themselves are very large and white. It is originally from Madison Co, NC.

Bean âÂÂLazy Housewifeâ pole bnLazW
    This heirloom is know to be an old stringless variety. Many old varieties as you may know have to be de-stringed before cooking and of course this one was easier on the cook. *UPDATE!! The rest of the description has been changed because of new information~ I was made aware that the heirloom beans called Lazy HOUSEwife are in fact not the same as the old bean named Lazy Wife. Both bean seeds are white and the about the same in length, but The Lazy Wife bean would be plumper and more rounded where as Lazy House Wife is more elongated. I do not know if they are related to each other or not at this time.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks naturegirl, I did read that bit at the Sample Seed site, I believe I have the one Remy said is plumper and more rounded. I just wondered if anyone knew a little more history on them.

Annette

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

I got some seed from heirlooms.org in Berea. This is all they have to say, "This is one of the largest of the greasy beans. From Madison County, NC, this bean is very tender and flavorful". Their descriptions used to be longer.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Shuffles, I could be wrong but I don't think the one I have is a greasy bean. From the information I have it's the one mentioned in Derek Fells 'Grow This', I haven't read this book myself but the seed I have is from someone who originally got their seed from him.

Annette

Original Author
    9 years ago

This may be helpful, a picture of the seed.

• fusion_power
    9 years ago

Beans of New York page 76, published 1931, has a picture of Lazy Wife pole bean. It is described on page 25. Synonyms: White Cranberry, Sophie, Maryland White Pole, White Cherry. Maule in 1894 says Lazy Wife originated in Bucks County, Pa., but it was brought there by German settlers. When comparison is possible, it corresponds in every way with Martens Sophie Bean which he says was noted by Savi in 1822 as San Domingo bean; and Tracy says the variety was known in America as early as 1810 as White Cherry Pole or White Cranberry pole. In France, the type is known as Coco Blanc. Irish describes Sophie but evidently this was only a semi-climbing type. Its maximum height is given as from 3 to 4 feet. It is of equal value in the home garden as a snap or green shell beans and is also a good late variety for the market. At Geneva, it produced its pods very late, 80 days from time of planting, about the same in season as Ward's Prolific and about one week later than Southern Cornfield and one week earlier than Georgian Pole. As a late snap pole bean it is excelled in quality by Scotia and Black-Seeded Kentucky Wonder, but as a shell bean it is probably unsurpassed.

Going out of my way to look something up for Annette.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks Fusion :). I see a mention of 'Sophie' and 'Coco Blanc' in the above. Heritage Harvest Seed have a Coco Sophie listed for 2015, possibly the same bean? I wish I had a bigger garden so I could grow a comparison but it looks like my plate is pretty full for next year.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Harvest Seed

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Well, well... my 2015 SSE catalog arrived recently, and tucked into the bean section was a box article titled "Setting the record straight - Lazy Wife Bean".

It describes the original "Lazy Wife" as having been carried by W. Atlee Burpee starting in 1885, who obtained it from Mennonite immigrants in Pennsylvania (see Fusion's note above) who had grown it for generations. Burpee then dropped the variety in the early 1900's.

Somewhere along the line (around 1980) another different strain was circulated by the name of "Lazy Wife". SSE admits that they and other vendors sold this inauthentic strain for years.

However, the original Burpee strain has been returned to circulation by Derek Fell, a former Burpee Seed catalog manager. Derek had obtained his seed from Bill Byrd of Carversville PA, who had grown & saved seed for the original "Lazy Wife" ever since Burpee dropped it from their catalog.

So Annette, since your seed is descended from Mr. Bell's (as you mentioned in a recent email), your "Lazy Wife" should be authentic.

Oh, I forgot to mention the description. From Burpee's original description: "the world's best flavored bean; not only for its rich beany flavor, but its plumpness, texture and TENDERNESS." SSE further states "the seeds are round, and polished-white in color." It appears to be a late bean, SSE lists the DTM as 80-100 days... presumably somewhat later still in the PNW.

This post was edited by zeedman on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 15:52

Original Author
    9 years ago

They are definitely on next years grow list. Hopefully I'll be able to share a few around in the fall :).

Annette

Original Author
    8 years ago

After the summer we had this year most of the beans I planted didn't start flowering until quite late. This said I managed a fair amount of seed from the few plants of each variety planted including 'Lazy Wife'. Unfortunately I have to stay out of the sun so I didn't get a lot of flowers bagged so there may be a slight chance of crossing although this has never happened so far in seed planted from my own stash. I have 3 packets of 20 seeds left if anyone is interested. Send me a message, the first 3 get the beans :). I do plan on growing them again next year, might even get to taste them this time round.

Annette

• farmerdill
    8 years ago

I have grown the 1885 version of Lazy Wife, My mother liked it and had grown it her youth. ( She was born in 1894). we continued to grow into the 50's. In my opinion it was no competition t for Kentucky Wonder. It is a short oval pod. In reliving experiencies from my youth, I have tried several existing "Lazy Wife" varieties and none even come close in appearance to the Burpee version.

• fusion_power
    8 years ago

Lazy Wife is an example of a bean that was revolutionary in its day but has been surpassed by dozens of better beans today.

Original Author
    8 years ago

The three packets went so quick I looked at what I had left and thought I could spare a few more seeds, no need for anything in exchange just trying to help get this bean back in circulation. One has already been spoken for so I have one packet of 20 seeds left if anyone is interested.

Annette

• skyblue52
    8 years ago

hello I have recently gotten in to beans. Have done heirloom tomatoes for 15 years. Would love to try these to save . Susan

• LDiane
    8 years ago

It's funny how the same name has been applied to different beans in different countries. The Lazy Housewife beans I grow are from South Africa. The seeds are small reddish brown ones.

Original Author
    8 years ago

LDiane, Tell me more about your Lazy Wife bean, is it a pole or bush bean, snap, used dry? It looks like I'm just up island from you, if you are interested in a trade message me. If there is a bean you're looking for I just might have it :).

Annette

• LDiane
    8 years ago

It's a pole, used green.

• dsmolenski
    8 years ago

the true lazy wife bean is one of the oldest pole beans.seed sells out fast .it is a snap or dry bean.the best tasting I ever grew.lots of big white beans.i had beans up till frost.you can order them from seedsavers exchange.these are the real deal.

• shawn b
    8 years ago

I know this thread is old if any has this to trade it would greatly be appreciated or by SASE.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Shawn, if you can't find them I'm growing them again this year so should be able to help you out in the fall after harvest. I gave away more than I planned to so can't help you out right now, sorry. If you are still interested message me in the fall.

Annette

• shawn b
    8 years ago

sounds good i will.I bought a book by Derek Fells and mentioned it and the history of it.How is it is it as good as they say it is?

Original Author
    8 years ago

Shawn, I only had a few to start with so grew it for seed last year, did have one taste and it must have been pretty good as I'm growing it again with the intentions of eating them this year. I have a small garden compared to a lot on here so don't grow anything in great amounts.

Annette

• LoboGothic
    8 years ago

Funny, when I saw Annette's photo, I thought, "Looks like Cocco Bianco." Reading on, saw mention of White Coco. Growing this one and it is very prolific. Weston Seeds carry many Italian bean varieties. It must be hardy because there was a volunteer the next year which grew well and yielded quite a few dry beans. It was in the middle of the garden and I propped it up on a hoe handle.

"Cocco Bianco - 65 days. Prized Italian variety is a popular little white bean with a thick pod found in traditional recipes, can be cooked fresh from the pod or dried. It is an old variety best known for its hardiness and for its high production of long cylindrical green pods. Weston Seeds 2013."

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists